Jumpstart from Dewalt battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several decades ago, long before Algore invented the internet, I made a generator with an old vertical shaft mower engine and a car alternator. Frame of pieces of leftover lumber.

It worked for what I needed it to do.
Did you by chance fish Below lock 16 decades ago with the 2 flood lights?

Guy there all the time had his homemade generator going.

I have a 10HP engine and stainless frame old Honda power washer.
I would for sure spin 2 alternators or one 200 amper.

I have a lot of alternators laying around and a few starters.
Parts ya know.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a battery charger technique that I bet I am the only one here that has done it.

Dead battery on my car the year it happened was 1993.
No battery charger no other battery.
But I had a 1/2" Black and Decker drill and nuts and bolts and washers and some (many ) car parts laying around.

I fashioned a pulley with a shaft on it to chuck up in the drill and spin my alternator belt to charge my battery.
It worked and worked very well.

One thing I hear often is why don't they put alternators on these Electric Vehicles to charge them.

The strain it put on that 1/2" drill with 1 measly 12 volt battery was astonishing.
2 hands on the drill and you could almost smell it smoking the guts out of it.
Yep. I'm sure you've used a drill to prime an oil pump on a rebuilt engine. That's another huge parasitic draw. I'm kinda shocked that they haven't used electrical oil pumps yet. Beats Ford using a rubber belt in the sump these days on their newer Eco Boosts. We both know how that's going to work out. :screwy:

They could still do the variable output if they just had to have it, could also dry sump them and even prelube before the starter kicks in with the right ECM programming. They are throwing a bunch of MPG away, you'd think they'd want that MPG with CAFE mandates the way they are.

Latest posts

Top Bottom