Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is time to start mowing off the winter food plots and selecting the spring/summer mix. The liquid soil supplement has done a fine job on my winter plot with the highest protein level I have ever seen. I saved $104.00/acre on fertilizer too.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The wheat, and other cereal grains, is starting to enter the reproductive stage due to the warm temps. It is now time to start mowing it, letting it dry, and disc/till it in. This muich will return some of the nutrients back into the soil and add carbon too. My research this fall has revealed that using pelleted fertilizers may not be the most efficient way to stimulate plant growth. I am focusing on green technologies that are putting more nutrients into the plant thru the leaves instead of the roots. I sprayed an organic compound on my food plots before I tilled the soil this fall. I will be prepping the fields for the warm season forages as soon as the mowing is completed. I will be spraying a soil supplement again that is adding soil bacteria to assist in breaking down the mulch that is re introduced, a liquid fertilizer that is immediately available to the seed upon germination, a biological stimulant that enhances the absorption of nutrients and a carbon compound that assists the plant to become more drought tolerant. This product is more cost effective than conventional fertilizer too. If someone is interested in more information on this product send me a PM.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In reviewing one of my test plots on a farm outside Canton, I found that after spraying the winter wheat with this soil supplement the protein level rose from 23% to 31.1%. This is a 26% rise in two weeks. Four out of four plots this fall have had protein levels in excess of 31.1 %. An experimental plot of winter wheat that was reviewed for the Whitetail Institute of North America had a protein level of 32.8%. These new supplements are totally green technologies and are saving producers approx 40% or more over the cost of granular fertilizer. I will be exhibiting at the OKC Farm Show April 19, 20, &21st in the Cox Pavillion at the state fair grounds. Come by the Edwards Environmental Corp booth and learn more.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am currrently tilling my plots for another series of tests. I am using iron and clay cowpeas. They are drought tolerant and will do fine for the deer this summer. My last round of tests on winter wheat, triticale, and forage oats revealed that I was able to boost protein levels in excess of 31% on all products. This spring I have increased winter wheat and bermuda protein by 25%+. This last week I inspected the experimental farm near Canton and collected samples of wheat that showeed increase length in seed head from 1/1/4", with no enhancements, to 4 3/4" heads with foliar feeding and a soil supplement. This should produce significant increase in yield to the farmer. These are sprays that can be easily applied with a 4 wheeler or larger spray units. The cost is a fraction of fertilizer and increases drought tolerance for the plants. At the end of the day, I expect that the expense that the farmer incurred to apply these compounds will be a fraction of his increased yield. It will not cost him to use them, it will pay him to use them. He is tickled to death with what he has been able to accomplish. If anyone is interested in saving money on your food plots let me know.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The iron & clay cowpeaes and a bag of "Game Keeper" soybeans ( 3 different bean varieties) all can be bought at Ross Seed in El Reno (262-3456) I should complete the planting tomorrow as I have excellant soil moisture and expect the seeds to be up by the weekend.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday was a grand day!! I pulled into my property in OKC to be greeted by one of my Does and her little speckled butt. They trotted off and I continued driving in. I veered into a back pasture to find another doe with a speckled butt nursing her. The little fella just would not let go, it was hungry. I drove within 30 yards before she told junior that it was time to go.:yelclap: The does have found my iron and clay cowpeas and are enjoying the groceries. I will have to spray the peas with Chlothedum to kill the grass which is overgrowing them. My "Gamekeeper" soybeans did not come up very well and I will replant them this week. I have ongoing food plot tests this year with the soil amendment products that I use in my business. The products are producing impressive results. You can follow what I have been able to do with wheat and bermuda in the September 2012 issue of Oklahoma Farmer Stockman Magazine. We are finishing up the story now. June 2012 issue has a story on what I am able to do to save ponds from summer fish kills. I produced protein levels in winter wheat, triticale and forage oats in excess of 31% this past winter. The normal protein level is around 22%. The deer could not keep the forage eaten down. The protein level rose by 26% in 2.5 weeks after spraying with the amendments. These were across the board increases on 4 plots. One plot that contained an experimental planting from the Whittail Institute of N.A rose to 32.8% protein. Incredible.

Latest posts

Top Bottom