Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So far this week, I did some mowing, sprayed my clover plots, sprayed roundup on a couple new plots and worked a little ground. I noticed a lot of grasshoppers and moths, so I know the army worms will be along as soon as any new seedings start emerging. That being the case along with the drought with no rain in the near future, I am going to delay my planting until at least the end of the month, maybe even early October.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Not very favorable whatsoever. It's been about 2 months since we've had more than a sprinkle.

Screenshot_20240910_215221_WeatherBug.jpg

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So far this week, I did some mowing, sprayed my clover plots, sprayed roundup on a couple new plots and worked a little ground. I noticed a lot of grasshoppers and moths, so I know the army worms will be along as soon as any new seedings start emerging. That being the case along with the drought with no rain in the near future, I am going to delay my planting until at least the end of the month, maybe even early October.
Undeg01 - That is what I am going to do too. The rain will come

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tilled my food plot today after mowing last week. Ground is hard and dry. It was pretty dusty. We need rain bad. The tiller struggled to get an inch but with wheat left all over the ground, I’m sure it’s gonna be good.
Dust in wheat and mud in oats has been the farmer’s mantra over the years. Hybrid varieties I’m not familiar with.
IMG_3502.jpeg
IMG_3501.jpeg

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish that I had the luxury of waiting - too many commitments after this weekend so planting now. I will hold off on any post-emergence Urea or liquid fertilizer until we get some rain and have new growth coming up.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In ‘22, I planted here in TX Sept 1 and had to replant Oct 17 because everything died due to no rain. I didn’t plant my customer’s plots until Oct 20th. Last year, I planted in OK on Oct 3 and here in TX on Oct 11th.
From what’s forecasted (or not forecasted), I may not plant this year until October. :rolleyes2

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have planted as late as October 5th and everything came up in time for Archery season, muzzleloader and, of course, rifle season. Deer are curious. You may think that you will scare your deer off by discing or tilling, yet the next morning if you walk over the area you just worked up, you most likely will see deer tracks from during the night. If you plant your plots close to a rain the oats etc will germinate and be up in roughly 3 days. and the deer will start grazing them. I'm with retrieverman as I will plant my plots close to the first of October. It will rain sooner or later and we will be in the fall weather pattern.

Latest posts

Top Bottom