Formation of Groups

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think alot of people are thinking "doomsday" or bugging out. Seems more people are open to talking about prepping.

I think so too. Think these shows have kinda freaked a bunch of folks out. I'm not sure why I seem so approachable but complete strangers will start talking to me about this stuff ... It's kinda weird to be laying on a gurney buck-naked with some kid half your age asking you what he should do. :o They have some long-ass hallways at Baptist!!

It is tempting to just print out a list of forums and websites on an index card and hand them out when folks ask ...

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As has been stated, I think that one of the biggest obstacles in a group environment is the leadership and direction of the group.

Some folks are good natural leaders, many others only think that they are good leaders. I've seen plenty of the latter. Many, many, many who thought that because of their rank or profession or "station in life" that they could lead and should be followed.

I've taken orders and I've given orders. I've taken orders from bad leaders. And I've fallen on my sword for good leaders.

I've seen how I react to stress, confusion and mayhem but not how others do and that would bother me in a group situation.

I've seen how people who you would expect to be able to handle a crisis break down in the unfolding of a problem, look around for help and after the dust settles think that they did pretty well.

I think that some neighborhoods will respond well, but others, not so much. During the Ice Storm a few years ago, I saw alot more of "I'm watching out for me" than "can I help you".

Like anything, depending on the situation, I think that it will be an evolutionary process. Some will join a group. Some will be asked to join. Some will be asked to leave. Some will want to leave on their own. Groups that "survive" will change as the situations dictate. Same for individuals. Those that cannot adapt to a changing environment will cease to exist.

Dave

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Walrus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The main problems, it seems to me, with building a group out of folks who presently live in larger towns or cities is that the possibilities of long-term survival (and the self-reliance upon which said survival ultimately hinges) are logistics, location and group structure. Jim Rawles has thought about this more than a little, and his advice is to vote with your feet now. In other words, someone needs to move out to the retreat (assuming this is the survival technique of choice versus toughing it out while staying in place) and get all the systems up and running. It'd do no good to show up somewhere and then begin thinking .. oh yeah, we need to milk the chickens and slop the horses and pull the weeds out of the septic system. <--- sorry, country boy making fun. I'll queet eet!

Redriverboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ive been trying to get a process together to to bring a few people together as more of a community type perspective ya know (yours is yours and mine is mine but if you watch my back ill watch yours) type of thing so I guess if your from Lawton halfway sane and looking for security in numbers messege me and we'll see how it goes

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ive been trying to get a process together to to bring a few people together as more of a community type perspective ya know (yours is yours and mine is mine but if you watch my back ill watch yours) type of thing so I guess if your from Lawton halfway sane and looking for security in numbers messege me and we'll see how it goes

Do I gotta be from Lawton?!? (I grew up in Duncan ... Oh, and rumor has it I don't play well with others -- and have nothing to bring to the table, to boot -- so I'm just funnin' around with ya! I'll save you from the distress of having to cut me loose and just say "Good luck with those Lawton folks" ... Although you might hit up some of the Lawton FG folks ... they are all pretty decent fellers ...)

Latest posts

Top Bottom