Four Canyon Preserve

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not this year. But, I hunted it two seasons ago.
Have you been there before?

awww.fototime.com_C6A46B678A3E424_standard.jpg

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well,
I don't want to hi-jack the post, but I think Jason might enjoy this one if he is going to hunt there. It was a day from a 13 day public land hunting road trip in 2006 that included Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas. This was posted on a couple forums at that time and I have it saved as part of a hunting photo diary I keep for my family. This is the Four Canyon day cut and pasted from my hunting diary thus why it includes the firefighting pictures. I do one of these two week road trips every year. Last year it was across Colorado in September hunting mostly Grouse. This year it will be across the Texas Trans Pecos hunting mostly Blue Quail. But being a versatile hunter with a versatile dog, all game is hunted.

Day 3, November 11, 2006

Had a nice sunrise to wake up to from my hilltop view on Black Kettle. Made the long winding drive into no-where Oklahoma to Four Canyon Nature Conservatory Preserve. This was an Oklahoma State Controlled or lottery hunt. A State Biologist was waiting to let me in the gate. He gave me a map and marked on it for me areas where he had seen quail. He did say it was a bad year and that I would be lucky to find two covies. Only me, the dog, and 4000 acres. The gate was locked behind me. No other hunters were on the Preserve. Blaze found exactly two covies on the Canyon rims. I was happy for Blaze to have found them considering the high winds that day. First time I ever shot DOWN at quail flying through TREETOPS. They would come off a canyon rim from under cedar trees and fly straight down.

awww.fototime.com_E85B1AF2F5DC3C3_standard.jpg

awww.fototime.com_230DECDC6D2D764_standard.jpg

awww.fototime.com_C961631E6B4516E_standard.jpg

Saw other game, but due to the State agreement with the NC I could only take quail. Here is a picture of Blaze chasing a Ringneck Duck off one of the tanks.

awww.fototime.com_30BC1BDAF1F0344_standard.jpg

Overall a great time even though it was windy and a poor quail year for the area. Still I was excited to get to hunt the area even if just to hike the canyons. I had been part of a team of Firefighters sent to the wildland fires along the Caprock above the Canadian River earlier in the year to assist the local Volunteer Firefighters protecting the town of Canadian Texas. This was just over the border from where I was now hunting. I had wanted an opportunity to go back to just hike and hunt this part of the county and felt fortunate to have lucked into the opportunity.

awww.fototime.com_72124DB1A8859FA_standard.jpg

awww.fototime.com_6B66B5FF3FBA326_standard.jpg

awww.fototime.com_57F67F7D23A60E7_standard.jpg

Helicopter Water Drop Video - ON ME!

http://www.fototime.com/4510BADD1AABDD8/conv.wmv

or

http://www.fototime.com/4510BADD1AABDD8/orig.mpg

Got to see a lot of beautiful country and not all in black this time.

awww.fototime.com_AE70261CDA8208B_standard.jpg

awww.fototime.com_C6A46B678A3E424_standard.jpg

awww.fototime.com_FF6BCD3471238EA_standard.jpg

From there I headed back south to meet Jim Christy, Refuge forum member "That Old Guy", at a restaurant to discuss the next days goose hunting plans at Washita NWR, then made my way to a motel room in Elk City Oklahoma.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spent the first half of the day hunting below the caprock closer to the Canadian where it was a lot easier to hunt and where the biologist originally told me to try. Did not find a single Quail there and pretty much wasted the morning. Might be different when Jason goes. It might have been due to the wind perhaps. The wind was brutal that day. The two covies where bunched up under cedar trees on the canyon rims and once flushed they scattered all down the sides. It was work to get to them. It was an interesting day.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Excellent story. We have had some air tankers on some of the fires I have been too and they take extreme care that all personnel and vehicles are out the drop zone. When they make a drop it would cave a roof in on most vehicles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom