Friday nights...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's always hard on the kids when they are dealt a bad loss. I'm making this comment to say that the school my wife taught at was legendary for going 0-10 or 1-9. This happened for many years. A
After a few years I noticed it wasn't the kids playing that was the problem but the coaching. Same coaches but different kids.
I started making this comment to the parents of the players. I didn't have dog in this fight, but it broke my heart watching those kids bust their butts and not getting the satisfaction they deserved.
It took two more years but the school finally replaced the old guard coaches with new ones.
This school is now winning half or better of their seasons.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's always hard on the kids when they are dealt a bad loss. I'm making this comment to say that the school my wife taught at was legendary for going 0-10 or 1-9. This happened for many years. A
After a few years I noticed it wasn't the kids playing that was the problem but the coaching. Same coaches but different kids.
I started making this comment to the parents of the players. I didn't have dog in this fight, but it broke my heart watching those kids bust their butts and not getting the satisfaction they deserved.
It took two more years but the school finally replaced the old guard coaches with new ones.
This school is now winning half or better of their seasons.

I think that's the case here. I watched the QB take the snap and try to run it in himself about 80% of the time. The other 20%, would be a hand-off to a half or full with no yardage gained.

About a minute or so into the 4th quarter, the starting QB got injured and the backup came in. Obviously, he had some additional coaching from either his father, older brother, or someone, because he ran a passing game that the coaches haven't been teaching.

Sadly, the backs and WRs weren't used to this, but after a play or two, they caught on. They still never made it into the end zone, but they made a lot of 1st and 10s and got close.

Oh well, maybe the coaches paid attention to this kid and will work with him and use him more. But alas, the starting QB is a senior and this kid is not. And we all know how THAT works. :rolleyes2

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Coaching is key

We had same coach for 4 years. QB is now married to oldest granddaughter. Middle linebacker (3 years of the 4) is now married to 2nd granddaughter (who was head cheerleader) and oldest grandson was weak side safety for the last 3 years.
They went to playoffs all 4 years under that coach. He moved to bigger program.
New coach came in and the Srs barely had a .500 season. 4 more seasons of losing, winning 1 - 2 games and coach sent packing.
This year, old coach came back, though successful at other school, he claims to miss living here and wanted his kids in this school.
Last night, they won 52 - 12. People are excited. Coaches matter.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think that's the case here. I watched the QB take the snap and try to run it in himself about 80% of the time. The other 20%, would be a hand-off to a half or full with no yardage gained.

About a minute or so into the 4th quarter, the starting QB got injured and the backup came in. Obviously, he had some additional coaching from either his father, older brother, or someone, because he ran a passing game that the coaches haven't been teaching.

Sadly, the backs and WRs weren't used to this, but after a play or two, they caught on. They still never made it into the end zone, but they made a lot of 1st and 10s and got close.

Oh well, maybe the coaches paid attention to this kid and will work with him and use him more. But alas, the starting QB is a senior and this kid is not. And we all know how THAT works. :rolleyes2
This was a very small school. 30-50 in any graduating class. I think the older coaches realized that they get paid regardless of wins or losses. My bet was on pure laziness.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This was a very small school. 30-50 in any graduating class. I think the older coaches realized that they get paid regardless of wins or losses. My bet was on pure laziness.

I'm not sure Wewoka has that many in a senior class. Maybe 30-40 seniors every year.

This was only the 2nd game, but last week, I didn't see much passing game either. They lost that one too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom