Friend honors Skeeter Skelton!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A friend of mine has given me the honor of posting his art work for your enjoyment. He as I grew up on the writings of such greats as Elmer Keith, an Skeeter Skelton, and have been for years smitten with the .44spl bug, and still consider it to be one of the finest cartridges out there, along with the guns that shoot it. Steve AKA MM6MM6 has honored Skeeter with two highly engraved .44spl revolvers. Both also have Skeeters brand on the high part of the backstrap. One is a S&W 4" 624(One that Skeeter pushed S&W to make), and the other is the Lipsey's .44spl Blackhawk FlatTop, that Skeeter always wished Ruger would make(By the way they are now a standard catalog item).
Michael Grouse is the engraver. http://www.mtart.com/
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I forgot to add that he also shoots these on a regular basis. I'm already looking into having several of mine engraved. Not as highly as his were done, but would still like to have a couple of good scratched up guns for those high profile BBQ's!!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was a huge fan of Skeeter's writings. Read his column and articles every month. He just had a huge wealth of knowledge and really had a way with words.

Tell your friend that those are some awesome works of art.

eich

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Growing up in the 70's with a 4" Smith Model 19, Skeeter was like that Uncle you really loved! I read everything I could get my hands on. Then when Smith came out with the remake M24 I got the first 4" and 6" I could get my hands on. What great shooting guns. I really like the 624, and it REALLY hurts to to say it but that Ruger is nice!

mm6mm6

New to the site!
Reaction score
Thanks Leighton (ldp4570) and everyone for your kind words about my .44 Special. It's been an enjoyable journey from buying my 624 back around 1989 and shooting the daylights out of it. I carried it often and packed it in my well worn El Paso Saddlery Threepersons crossdraw holster. It even sported rubber grips at one time. But over the years I truly bonded with the revolver and it became a tangible object that represented the bond between my father and I.

It was fun to turn the S&W into a tribute to Skeeter Skelton. That was supposed to be the end of journey, but like many things in life, just when you think you've reached the end, it turns out you're not quite there just yet. Ruger came out with the Lipsey's exclusive .44 Special Blackhawk and I had to have one. Once the single action was in my hands, the black plastic grips had to be replaced and a set of Cary C's birdseye maple handles were ordered. After they were on the gun, I visualized my new Blackhawk engraved with 75% coverage American Scroll by Michael Gouse.

Then idea of making a presentation box for both .44s leaped into my head and I was off on another dirt side road when I had though I reached a dead end.

Here's a pic of the Ruger with a 1986 Shooting Times question from "Ask Skeeter":

ai136.photobucket.com_albums_q187_mm6mm6_Skeeter008.jpg

And here's a few more pics of my Skelton Tribute S&W 624:

ai136.photobucket.com_albums_q187_mm6mm6_SW624g002.jpg

ai136.photobucket.com_albums_q187_mm6mm6_SW624008.jpg

ai136.photobucket.com_albums_q187_mm6mm6_SW624g006.jpg

-Steve

Latest posts

Top Bottom