Gamers...little help..pros and cons on Xbox-One and PS4.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea, I know I could go to a million websites but I trust your opinion.

#1. XBOX One. I don't know anything about the XBOX and what little I do..I state here.

It seems with Xbox you have to purchase everything seperately. Don't you have to subscribe to their network..forgot what its called...to view sporting events? That's the main reason I'd want it..to watch NFL Sunday ticket. If I have to purchase the NFL Sunday ticket AND subscribe to their network..it's not worth it when I can buy it online through DirecTv. Are there any other advantages over the PS4? Cons to the XBOX?

2. PS4, I'll probably wait until the PS3 wears out. Right now all we use it for is watching movies. We rent the dvd from Netflix, wife wants the dvd..not streaming.

So, is the XBOX really worth it? Will they have more and better game then Sony...if and when I want to sporadically play a game. Is it really worth the price..or..wait for a few months?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks!!

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For Netflix and such, you need an Xbox Live subscription. With the PS platform, you do not.

If you're actually going to play games, pick which one has the most appealing exclusives and go with it. You don't mention games at all, and imply that this will be more of a media device. If that's the case, stick with your PS3. It's 7 years into its 10-year life span, so it should still be supported for a few more years and will drop in price as the time goes by. If your PS3 crashes, buy another.

The PS4 is $100 cheaper. The XBOne might be at the same price if they didn't force the Kinect into the package.

If you plan on doing online gaming, even the PS4 will put this capability behind a paywall. $10/month, $18ish for 3 months, or $50/year subscription to PS+ is required.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For Netflix and such, you need an Xbox Live subscription. With the PS platform, you do not.

If you're actually going to play games, pick which one has the most appealing exclusives and go with it. You don't mention games at all, and imply that this will be more of a media device. If that's the case, stick with your PS3. It's 7 years into its 10-year life span, so it should still be supported for a few more years and will drop in price as the time goes by. If your PS3 crashes, buy another.

The PS4 is $100 cheaper. The XBOne might be at the same price if they didn't force the Kinect into the package.

If you plan on doing online gaming, even the PS4 will put this capability behind a paywall. $10/month, $18ish for 3 months, or $50/year subscription to PS+ is required.

Is this for certain? I have played the PS1 when I was waist high, PS2 starting in elementary, and ps3 in high school. I may just draw the line and not game anymore if they are going to pull this Microsoft crap.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this for certain? I have played the PS1 when I was waist high, PS2 starting in elementary, and ps3 in high school. I may just draw the line and not game anymore if they are going to pull this Microsoft crap.

Yep. Netflix and other online stuff will still be available no matter what, but online gaming is behind the paywall.

Even though I'm a PS+ subscriber, so I'm not affected by this, I still don't agree with it.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. Netflix and other online stuff will still be available no matter what, but online gaming is behind the paywall.

Even though I'm a PS+ subscriber, so I'm not affected by this, I still don't agree with it.

Do you know if this will filter down to the PS3 as well?

Renegadethreads

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The main Xbox con is Microsoft.

Microsoft's management has continued to make poor decisions and there tactics seem to be to try to trap you into using there system and paying for it their way or not at all.

If you aren't hooked into games that you like to play with your friends that are all on Xbox, then save yourself the suffering of dealing with Microsoft anymore than you have to.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The main Xbox con is Microsoft.

Microsoft's management has continued to make poor decisions and there tactics seem to be to try to trap you into using there system and paying for it their way or not at all.

If you aren't hooked into games that you like to play with your friends that are all on Xbox, then save yourself the suffering of dealing with Microsoft anymore than you have to.

Well, you could say that about Sony Entertainment. Remember the credit card hack crap and their lame excuses?? All online gaming was shutoff for like two weeks?? (Granted I got the house trim painted) But, I digress, it still is crappy MS at the end of the day and if I had to pick under threat of needles under my fingernails, Sony and their PS4 gets the nod. Only reason ppl buy PC's is bc they are cheap. I'd say 98% of them run windows.

Arin Morris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The PS4 also won't support DLNA, audio CD playback or MP3, although they are backpedaling a bit on the DLNA and say they may implement it. My PS3 is primarily a DLNA media server. I don't plan on looking to upgrade anytime in the near future. I didn't know about their pay to play online until I just read it here. Seems like there's a lot of strikes against PS4 for my personal use.

Latest posts

Top Bottom