Gas Fireplace Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Replaced the entire burner/pilot assembly 3.5 years ago and everything has been running fine until yesterday. We’d been using it all day without issue (as well as the previous three weeks). It gets the room way too hot so I’ll shut it off from time to time and start it up again after maybe 20 minutes. When I turned it back on yesterday afternoon it ran for about a minute and shut itself off. Pilot stays lit so it’s not the thermocouple, burner appears to be functioning properly and thetank is full 😉. Any thoughts on what might be happening or replacing?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes not enough voltage is transmitted from the thermocouple to open the gas valve because the flame is too small or soot or dirtiness has accumulated on the thermocouple.
If you can get it closer to the flame or make the flame larger you could try that and see if it fixes it.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes not enough voltage is transmitted from the thermocouple to open the gas valve because the flame is too small or soot or dirtiness has accumulated on the thermocouple.
If you can get it closer to the flame or make the flame larger you could try that and see if it fixes it.

This is exactly what I was gonna say. Clean the thermocouple and see if that helps. That's an easy first step.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The flame does not move away from the thermocouple and the burner isn’t clogged although good ideas to check. Didn’t know there was a thermal over-limit switch which sounds like something to address.
IMG_7298.jpeg
IMG_7299.jpeg
1700492195250.jpeg

Last edited:

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry guys, jumped the gun. Took all the logs off, smacked the burner with the back of a hammer and it’s been burning for almost 10 minutes. Must have been something clogged OR I’m wondering if I have the logs attached he’d in such a way it’s creating an issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom