Gate Opener?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Ugh, we have three at work and they are constantly needing worked on. I’m ‘kinda’ the go to guy to open them manually or reset them when needed.
Got to work at 5 a couple mondays ago. One gate was wide open and one was half open. Went back and watch security video so I could find out who I needed to chew out for messing up the gates. 1:47pm on Saturday there was a big lighting strike and fried everything.
Two weeks later and a repair bill of a little over 1k and they are working again.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ugh, we have three at work and they are constantly needing worked on. I’m ‘kinda’ the go to guy to open them manually or reset them when needed.
Got to work at 5 a couple mondays ago. One gate was wide open and one was half open. Went back and watch security video so I could find out who I needed to chew out for messing up the gates. 1:47pm on Saturday there was a big lighting strike and fried everything.
Two weeks later and a repair bill of a little over 1k and they are working again.

I was told years ago to never go AC power on Gate Openers. 12v DC only way, eliminates those elect surges, lightning strikes and power outages.

Now commercial might be a whole nother ballgame!

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to work with someone whose husband was a welder who built really nice (read: expensive) gates for a living. She said his advice was to avoid the big box store openers (IIRC, she specifically mentioned the Mule brand openers as ones to avoid), but I don't recall what he recommended. You might call custom gate builders and ask what they recommend. She said he usually had decent take-off (used) openers that he could make me a deal on, but I never did get around to that.

The apartment complex where I am now uses Chamberlain (IIRC) openers on its gates, but they're pretty serious overkill for a home gate.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to work with someone whose husband was a welder who built really nice (read: expensive) gates for a living. She said his advice was to avoid the big box store openers (IIRC, she specifically mentioned the Mule brand openers as ones to avoid), but I don't recall what he recommended. You might call custom gate builders and ask what they recommend. She said he usually had decent take-off (used) openers that he could make me a deal on, but I never did get around to that.

The apartment complex where I am now uses Chamberlain (IIRC) openers on its gates, but they're pretty serious overkill for a home gate.

I have heard the Mule Brands are jokes too. Well 9 years on one so far! Funny thing a few companies I reached out to today said same thing as your coworkers husband!

I will say though I have it on a very lightweight gate and in high winds I secured it a lot over the years.

But now on this new to us place, I put a nice heavy pipe gate up on nice heavy ball bearings and also want it to lock when shut. So gonna not go back with a Mighty Mule.

Latest posts

Top Bottom