Gauging Interest for 'Semi-Custom' 1911 ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharingan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been playing around with the idea of selling my 1911, started out as a springfield Mil-spec.. then I let Dr. Barry Greyson get ahold of it, and now its my baby, lol..

I guess this constitutes as a 'semi-custom' 1911? I dont know, I hear that means different things to different people so Ill just list what was done to it if I can remember correctly ( I have it all written down in the safe at home)..

Springfield Mil Spec Frame /slide/ barrel...
Egw Custom Barrel Bushing
Wilsons Ultralight Match Trigger
25 lpi stainless mainspring housing ( believe its 25)
C&S Hammer, Sear, Disconnector kit etc. set at 3.7lb trigger pull
TM hammer strut
S&A Beavertail GS
Billet thumb safety.. (cant remember if its ed brown or egw)
Polished feed ramp
VZ battleship gray Alien grips (currently on the gun, though not pictured)

... I believe I also have x3 wilson 47 magazines, couple extra sets of grips (including the punisher faux ivory, and the VZ alien grey battleships that are currently on it), couple of regular Springfield factory 1911 mags, and a crossbreed supertuck if anyone wanted them with the pistol.. wouldnt mind working out a fair deal there. May have some other 1911 accessories in the safe or closet.

------

Thats everything off the top of my head. The only thing I will say is the front sight post is a little loose--this hasnt had any influence on my accuracy-- I just planned on putting in some TFOs or night sights later on anyways and never got around to it.

I dont really have a clue as to what a good fair price is, so if you would like to make me an offer, or at least give me some input on what I should expect to list it as... Id appreciate it. Im just going to buy silver bullion with it if I sell it anyway. Thanks everyone!

-Will

((PS- Here is a link to pics and so forth... http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?100528-Had-some-work-done-to-the-Mil-Spec..-%29 ))

Last edited by a moderator:

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen some picks of DBG's work; it's good as you know. The basic pistol you started with is really inexpensive...very good but inexpensive. The parts put into the pistol would retail for around $500. If DBG did all the work his time would be worth at least that much again. So, your setting with A $600 pistol that contains $500 worth of after market parts and $500 labor. A total of $1,600...assuming it's all stainless and did not required refinishing. Now the problem. No offense but it is not a Colt. Even though the Springfield is probably the best slide & frame on the general market now it just doesn't command the same stock of custom resale value of a Colt. $1000 would be a steel for the pistol, $1,200 would be a good deal and if someone offered you anything at or above $1,400 that would be a good deal for you. Now, why sell it. It's probably a fantastic pistol and you own it already.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen some picks of DBG's work; it's good as you know. The basic pistol you started with is really inexpensive...very good but inexpensive. The parts put into the pistol would retail for around $500. If DBG did all the work his time would be worth at least that much again. So, your setting with A $600 pistol that contains $500 worth of after market parts and $500 labor. A total of $1,600...assuming it's all stainless and did not required refinishing. Now the problem. No offense but it is not a Colt. Even though the Springfield is probably the best slide & frame on the general market now it just doesn't command the same stock of custom resale value of a Colt. $1000 would be a steel for the pistol, $1,200 would be a good deal and if someone offered you anything at or above $1,400 that would be a good deal for you. Now, why sell it. It's probably a fantastic pistol and you own it already.

No offense, but $1000 would not be a "steal" for this pistol, and no one in their right mind would ever offer the "good deal" of $1200.

GMT is being generous pushing it to $800+

I think it would bring $650-$700 and that's only because you have DBG associated with it - otherwise it would struggle to see $600.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The mil spec Springer is worth $650, new. If he will sell the pistol for $650 I'll buy it, take all the Wilson, Brown, etc parts out of it and rebuild it back to stock with parts I have on hand, and make a great shooter out of it. Then take the excellent aftermarket parts and put into the Colt slide and frame I have for an excellent custom. I truly don't want to start an argument with any of you but I don't think you know spit about custom 1911's like DBG does. Too bad you may even have offended him and his work with you ignorance. Good grief man, a Springer slide and frame are the preferred brand of one of the best known custom 1911 builders...Mr. Bill Laughridge at Cylinder & Slide. Due to how well they are made and the materials they are made off.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You've got a nice base gun with all the important ignition bits gone over by a very good gunsmith. Dr. Greyson installing all those parts has a value that's hard to place a resale value on to be honest. If the thread linked shows the gun as it sits I see a gun with quality bits that are well installed but the project needs finishing.

I'd encourage you to keep it, but I think a fair price would be in the $900 range, the gun needs a finish and work to deal with the front sight, then it would be complete and not just a project.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe tomorrow I'll text Barry and see if I pissed him off. :D :D

Coming from someone that's bought and sold custom 1911s for some time, I'm gonna say that it's EXTREMELY tough to get a good amount of your money back for honest custom work. Doesn't matter who it is. It's Oklahoma.... people won't pay for high end stuff here.....it's just the reality. This doesn't mean it's not worth $1K+ or whatever. TO ME it is.... which is why I'm probably the only one here with two of Barry's full house builds? Boehler? However, if you're gonna start adding up worth HERE in Oklahoma on a 1911 with custom work and think you're gonna get retail prices.... you're smoking crack.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What OKCShooter said. I'll admit this is a steel, but I only paid $1000 for this Yost-Bonitz 8 or 9 months ago.
i203.photobucket.com_albums_aa250_surjimmy_IMG_4114.jpg

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe tomorrow I'll text Barry and see if I pissed him off. :D :D

Coming from someone that's bought and sold custom 1911s for some time, I'm gonna say that it's EXTREMELY tough to get a good amount of your money back for honest custom work. Doesn't matter who it is. It's Oklahoma.... people won't pay for high end stuff here.....it's just the reality. This doesn't mean it's not worth $1K+ or whatever. TO ME it is.... which is why I'm probably the only one here with two of Barry's full house builds? Boehler? However, if you're gonna start adding up worth HERE in Oklahoma on a 1911 with custom work and think you're gonna get retail prices.... you're smoking crack.

I agree that Oklahoma is a cheap state and you can't regularly sell top quality work for what it's really worth. I've seen only a few of his pistols and he's got the talent to do whatever he wants in the custom 1911 market. He may not want too but he could. His work is certainly as good if not better than Night Hawk, Les Baer, Wilson, Ed Brown and the like. The cheapest pistol in that group would be Les Baer and his pistols begin at just under $2k. Night Hawk, Wilson and Ed Brown regularly get close to $3k and more for their work. Yes, NH, Wilson & EB all make there own frames/slides but that does not mean they are better than Springfield. Cylinder & Slide also builds great 1911's but they don't make their own slides/frames...for the most part any way except for their special 1911 copy. Mr. Laughdridge has stated that the best slide/frame to customize is a Springfield. I build 1911's for myself. They are good and they work but they are probably not as good as DBG's. I don't sell them but if I ever thought about it I would not set up a retail shop in Oklahoma...you're correct about that! As for the crack. I can only say I've got one and it's had only one job for 55 years and it ain't smoken...:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom