Gauging Interest for 'Semi-Custom' 1911 ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What OKCShooter said. I'll admit this is a steel, but I only paid $1000 for this Yost-Bonitz 8 or 9 months ago.
i203.photobucket.com_albums_aa250_surjimmy_IMG_4114.jpg

Well, I agree that was a steel. And if GMThunder's crack is smoking I think the dude that sold you that pistol was tokin.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen only a few of his pistols and he's got the talent to do whatever he wants in the custom 1911 market. He may not want too but he could. His work is certainly as good if not better than Night Hawk, Les Baer, Wilson, Ed Brown and the like

Again you're not telling me anything I don't know. I own or have owned examples of all of the above.

Yes, NH, Wilson & EB all make there own frames/slides but that does not mean they are better than Springfield.

NH does NOT make their own frames and slides, last I checked they get them from Remsport. Les Baer, Wilson, and EB's frames and slides are all better than your basic Springfield. Some of the oversized stuff that comes out of the SACS is different but for the most part your basic mil-spec will have more inconsistencies opposed to something from the big boys.

Dr. Barry Greyson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi Guys...
There are a lot of things that can be addressed in this thread.
There are a lot of "issues" that people have in defining customs , semi-customs, and upgrades.
In terms of doing "custom" work it all varies depending on what a client wants, his experience, and his budget.
My "philosophy" is more like recommendations to clients depending on their experience in shooting 1911s. In general, I always advise not to make your 1911 pistol a lifetime project, i.e. don't drag it out over a couple of years. You can never get the full appreciation for the pistol when you are changing things all the time and scarring up the pistol with machine work. I always recommend reliability tuning, then a better ignition group, then better sights, and a new barrel if accuracy is an issue, and finally refinishing. The refinishing is as much for me as well as the client since people tend to be super critical when looking at other peoples work product. They are not privy to the conversations and/or planning between the client and 'smith. So it's always going to be better if it looks like it came new out of the box when the job is finished and for ease of maintenance if you are working with Carbon Steel. We won't get into EGO at this time whether the client's or the 'smith's-lol.
As for Will wanting to sell his 1911, yes I did the work that he listed. I would consider it an upgrade and I think that if someone wants to upgrade it again to "semi-custom as a "complete version" the addition of new sights, front strap treatment,(checkering, golf-balling etc.), and any other cosmetic/functional ,ergonomic machine work, and refinishing would give someone the basis for a very nice "semi-custom" or "full custom." The price that someone sells the pistol for is what ever the buyer at the time thinks that it is worth. I NEVER tell clients that just because my name is associated with a pistol that they can sell it for more than what they have in the pistol. I believe that the value of my doing the work on a pistol is that I am going to do my best to give my client the best "reliability" that I can squeeze out of the pistol. THe basis of this philosophy is "If you have to use it to defend your life...What is your life worth?" For a tactical pistol everything that comes after reliability is "gravy!" I always call my clients after the work is done to the point of pestering them to make sure that there are no "issues" with the pistol. Once they give me the thumbs up for the springing and the load that they are going to use my job is done.
Now, as to dollar value, if I was going to venture a "SWAG"(sophisticated wild-ass guess) as to commercial value. IMHO, from a buyers point of view that is looking for a base pistol to continue upgrading you would have a very nice starting place with GMThunder's recommendation and Boehlertaught being very generous in his estimate.
I usually refrain from jumping in on posts like this because you are always going to "piss" someone off-lol...usually the seller. I hope that this post helps and not hinders.
I also hope that by jumping in here it will add a bit of depth to the thread.
Be well,

Barry

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Guys...
There are a lot of things that can be addressed in this thread.
There are a lot of "issues" that people have in defining customs , semi-customs, and upgrades.
In terms of doing "custom" work it all varies depending on what a client wants, his experience, and his budget.
My "philosophy" is more like recommendations to clients depending on their experience in shooting 1911s. In general, I always advise not to make your 1911 pistol a lifetime project, i.e. don't drag it out over a couple of years. You can never get the full appreciation for the pistol when you are changing things all the time and scarring up the pistol with machine work. I always recommend reliability tuning, then a better ignition group, then better sights, and a new barrel if accuracy is an issue, and finally refinishing. The refinishing is as much for me as well as the client since people tend to be super critical when looking at other peoples work product. They are not privy to the conversations and/or planning between the client and 'smith. So it's always going to be better if it looks like it came new out of the box when the job is finished and for ease of maintenance if you are working with Carbon Steel. We won't get into EGO at this time whether the client's or the 'smith's-lol.
As for Will wanting to sell his 1911, yes I did the work that he listed. I would consider it an upgrade and I think that if someone wants to upgrade it again to "semi-custom as a "complete version" the addition of new sights, front strap treatment,(checkering, golf-balling etc.), and any other cosmetic/functional ,ergonomic machine work, and refinishing would give someone the basis for a very nice "semi-custom" or "full custom." The price that someone sells the pistol for is what ever the buyer at the time thinks that it is worth. I NEVER tell clients that just because my name is associated with a pistol that they can sell it for more than what they have in the pistol. I believe that the value of my doing the work on a pistol is that I am going to do my best to give my client the best "reliability" that I can squeeze out of the pistol. THe basis of this philosophy is "If you have to use it to defend your life...What is your life worth?" For a tactical pistol everything that comes after reliability is "gravy!" I always call my clients after the work is done to the point of pestering them to make sure that there are no "issues" with the pistol. Once they give me the thumbs up for the springing and the load that they are going to use my job is done.
Now, as to dollar value, if I was going to venture a "SWAG"(sophisticated wild-ass guess) as to commercial value. IMHO, from a buyers point of view that is looking for a base pistol to continue upgrading you would have a very nice starting place with GMThunder's recommendation and Boehlertaught being very generous in his estimate.
I usually refrain from jumping in on posts like this because you are always going to "piss" someone off-lol...usually the seller. I hope that this post helps and not hinders.
I also hope that by jumping in here it will add a bit of depth to the thread.
Be well,

Barry

Thank you for making it clear from a "Builder's perspective" and you are absolutely right....adding some parts to a basic gun does not make it a "Semi-Custom" - it makes it a basic 1911 with some parts added.

Finally, we get a "definitive" answer from someone who DOES know "spit" about the 1911.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gonna say this again to the OP...... keep it. Why take a hit on a good running 1911? You've got a sleeper.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Sharingan. Sorry we all stomped all over you original post. You do have a nice pistol and keeping it may or may not be what you want to do. I do agree with these gentlemen that OK may not be a good place to get top dollar for your pistol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom