ghost ring sights for 870

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trijicon and XS make front sights that epoxy over the front bead. The rear sights require drilling and tapping the receiver to install the ghost ring. LPA also makes rear ghost ring.

Another option would be purchasing an 870 barrel with rifle sights. XS makes sight set that replaces the std front sight post and rear notch.

I will post some links...

Here is the XS shotgun page: http://www.xssights.com/store/shotgun.html

Here is a link to the Trak-loc set: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=12522/Product/REMINGTON_TRAK_LOCK_trade__II_GHOST_RING_SIGHT_SET

Here is a link to the LPA rear ghost ring: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=471336

CamaroMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are they worth it. What I mean is will it give me the ability to get on target faster, or are they mainly for longer distance accuracy

Their website can tell you more about them than I can. But this quote pretty much sums it up. "Scientifically designed for speed of acquisition and precision shooting, the Advantage Tactical Sight (ATS) is the quickest and most precise iron sight ever conceptualized. Patented in 2004, the ATS can be customized to your eyes and zeroed to your load. Prices as well as all ATS products are available right here on this website. Click BUY NOW for more information." - http://www.advantagetactical.com/

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are they worth it. What I mean is will it give me the ability to get on target faster, or are they mainly for longer distance accuracy
Quite a can of worms, there.:P IIRC, this triangle sight picture was actually offered by another company, and (again, IIRC) they may have been offered as stock sights on the early Steyr M series, so they've been arund awhile. Could be off on that, but in any event, I have handled a pistol with the arrangement, and did not find it terribly instinctive- YMMV.

Worth the money? At $129 they aren't much less than trit GRs, that are more like traditional rifle sights and may make an easier inrterchangeability between pistol/rifle/shotty.

Here's my take- if you shoot rifle/carbine more than pistol, and want comparable sight picture for your shotty, GRs are the way to go. Also, if you are a hardcore shotgunner, and will use buck to 25yds, and slugs out to 200yds, a GR offers you click sight adjustment and ranging ability.

If neither of those fit you, and you've done a lot of shooting with a bead, something that is a bit easier to see with low light compatibility, one of the epoxy-on dots is really a best bang for the buck. You can use a FO replacement bead, but IMO, hitting twilight, or in your living room at 2100 and the curtains drawn, there just isn't enough ambient light to make them glow.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure have the same shotgun you have Okie. I went out and shot it a couple days ago. I put 30 2 3/4" Remington Sluggers through it with a front bead. From 40-50 yards, I pretty sure I could hit a water bottle with some practice. Not sure if its necessary to tap and drill and buy sights. Just buy a colored bead if you want visibility at night.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot a lot of shotgun in 3 gun competition. Nobody uses ghost ring sights if they have the choice. There simply is no need for the rear sight on 99% of the shots. Some guys will use a flip up rear 10/22 rear sight dovetailed into their vent rib for precision long range (50 yards plus) slug shooting but that's it. I say get a good Hi Viz brand front sight so it is easy to see and your good to go.

OkieDokie1982

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot a lot of shotgun in 3 gun competition. Nobody uses ghost ring sights if they have the choice. There simply is no need for the rear sight on 99% of the shots. Some guys will use a flip up rear 10/22 rear sight dovetailed into their vent rib for precision long range (50 yards plus) slug shooting but that's it. I say get a good Hi Viz brand front sight so it is easy to see and your good to go.

thats interesting and it kind of makes sense, do you have any recomendations on a "good Hi Viz front sight"?

Latest posts

Top Bottom