Going to college........Need help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will hold them for you Andy. Will just charge you that threaded M9 barrel for it. :)

That's awful nice of you. I'll probably sell off the guns that are easily replaced (the extra money will come in handy) and just keep the few I have left over at my dad's.

I just don't like the idea of being unarmed for the next two years and my guns being 8 hours away. I would get an apartment or something off campus, but the scholarship covers all my housing and eating needs for the length of time that I'll be there.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
. . .I would get an apartment or something off campus, but the scholarship covers all my housing and eating needs for the length of time that I'll be there.

That's a rather tempting scholarship and hard to turn down. After a few months you may strike up a friendship with a local off campus who can store some of your guns for an occasional shooting session. At that point you could bring over a couple to Jonesboro.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a rather tempting scholarship and hard to turn down. After a few months you may strike up a friendship with a local off campus who can store some of your guns for an occasional shooting session. At that point you could bring over a couple to Jonesboro.

Yeah, a trusted off campus friend would be nice.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK allows "parking lot" carry even at colleges:
TITLE 21 § 1277. Unlawful carry in certain places said:
D. No person in possession of any concealed handgun pursuant to the
Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall be authorized to carry the handgun
into or upon any college or university property, except as provided in
this subsection. For purposes of this subsection, the following property
shall not be construed as prohibited
for persons having a valid
concealed handgun license:

1. Any property set aside for the use of any vehicle, whether attended
or unattended, provided the handgun is carried or stored as
required by law and the handgun is not removed from the vehicle
without the prior consent of the college or university president
while the vehicle is on any college or university property;

I know this is for Oklahoma only, but it would be worth researching the Arkansas statutes to see if they have a similar provision. I know I would like to have at least my carry weapon ready to go when I left campus.

nmokie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the schools web site.

reslife.astate.edu/pdfs/ResLifepolicies.pdf

FIREWORKS, EXPLOSIVES, AND HAZARDOUS MATERIALS
Fireworks and explosives of any kind are not permitted in the residence halls or on campus. Weapons, firearms, guns, or ammunition of any kind are not permitted in the residence halls. This includes, but is not limited to, pellet or BB guns, slingshots, arrows, axes, machetes, numchucks, water guns, paintball guns, throwing stars or knives with a blade four inches or longer. Also, all items listed above may not be stored in vehicles that are parked on university
property. There are no exceptions to this policy. Please see the University Police Department for more information.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK I reasearched the AR law myself (useful as my brother lives there).

A.C.A. § 5-73-306 said:
5-73-306. Prohibited places.
(a) No license issued pursuant to this subchapter shall authorize any person to carry a concealed handgun into:

(14) Any school, college, community college, or university campus building or event, unless for the purpose of participating in an authorized firearms-related activity;

So one is only prohibited from carrying in buildings or at events (I imagine primarily sporting events, but others would be applicable as well).

The AG decision also supports this, but he warns,

However, if the institution in question has elected to prohibit the carrying of concealed handguns into its property by the posting of signs to that effect, no handguns may be carried in any property of the institution, even by licensed handgun carriers.

So, as long as the college has no SIGNS posted prohibiting firearms, I'd pack in my car and call it good.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like the law question has been answered. While I might leave "a" gun in my car, I would NOT store many there. I don't know what Jonesboro an the town immediately surrounding campus is like, but I know that some of the college campuses I've been on, I would NEVER leave a gun unattended in a car. Seen too many vehicles broken into on those campuses. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Top Bottom