Going to college........Need help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a few questions and was wondering if any of you folks might be able to help me out with the answers.

I'm looking at possibly going to school at Arkansas State University. I qualify for housing (non-apartments, but actually individual small 2 bedroom houses). Since I would be living in campus housing, what could I do with my guns? I'm assuming it wouldn't be lawful to have them in the home or on me when I leave the house. So does that mean for the next few years while I'm over there, I'll have to leave my guns in Oklahoma with my dad?

Second question, will I have to get an Arkansas drivers license since I'm an out of state student, or would I still be considered an oklahoma resident and be allowed to keep my Okie DL since the okie address is my permanent address?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Assuming you're a student/not a resident your OK DL should be fine. On campus student housing , I'm sure guns are not going to fly. You might check with campus police. I know at OSU you can check guns in with them for storage. I've never done it so I'm not positive how the process works.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Assuming you're a student/not a resident your OK DL should be fine. On campus student housing , I'm sure guns are not going to fly. You might check with campus police. I know at OSU you can check guns in with them for storage. I've never done it so I'm not positive how the process works.

So it might be possible to check my concealed carry pistol in with the campus police and then check it out when I leave campus?

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i went to OKWU up there in B'ville and while i was there i was told that i could store the unloaded guns in the RA's housing unit on campus, but i had to keep the ammunition locked up in my vehicle. Then i could check them out whenever i wanted to take them out hunting and upon returning i had to immediately lock them back in the RA's room. I tried to leave them in the men's RA's houseing unit and he said that he did not feel comfortable with them there(apparently he was afraid of spontaneous combustion of firearms), so i asked the women's RA and she said that would be fine. So i kept all of mine there for as long as i needed them. Of course this was a private, very conservative leaning, university, so their rules were a bit more relaxed than a public university is going to be. good luck.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i went to OKWU up there in B'ville and while i was there i was told that i could store the unloaded guns in the RA's housing unit on campus, but i had to keep the ammunition locked up in my vehicle. Then i could check them out whenever i wanted to take them out hunting and upon returning i had to immediately lock them back in the RA's room. I tried to leave them in the men's RA's houseing unit and he said that he did not feel comfortable with them there(apparently he was afraid of spontaneous combustion of firearms), so i asked the women's RA and she said that would be fine. So i kept all of mine there for as long as i needed them. Of course this was a private, very conservative leaning, university, so their rules were a bit more relaxed than a public university is going to be. good luck.

So how did the women's RA store them?

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So how did the women's RA store them?

i had to put them each in a gun case, did not have to be locked, then i removed the bolt on the bolt action just to make her OK with that "big gun", and i kept the magazines for my 10-22 in my truck and the guns were just kept in the closet in her room. it was a connected room to one of the womens dorms, but it had an exterior entrance to it. no one else knew they were there, unless she told someone, which i doubt she did. but i would just go over to her room late in the evenings when most everyone was already in bed and load them up in my truck whenever i had plans to go hunting or shooting.

the president of the university told me that i could just lock them in my truck as well, but i was in college, and beer was my friend, so i opted not to leave them there. like i said they were very relaxed around there when it came to firearms. i had a conversation with the president about concealed carry, and he said that as long as he knew who was carrying then he would be ok with it, so long as the appropriate license was acquired. but i left school before i ever got my CCL so i never got to test him and find out if he was serious about that or not. the president was a hunter and shooter himself, so he was pretty cool about that kind of stuff.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i had to put them each in a gun case, did not have to be locked, then i removed the bolt on the bolt action just to make her OK with that "big gun", and i kept the magazines for my 10-22 in my truck and the guns were just kept in the closet in her room. it was a connected room to one of the womens dorms, but it had an exterior entrance to it. no one else knew they were there, unless she told someone, which i doubt she did. but i would just go over to her room late in the evenings when most everyone was already in bed and load them up in my truck whenever i had plans to go hunting or shooting.

the president of the university told me that i could just lock them in my truck as well, but i was in college, and beer was my friend, so i opted not to leave them there. like i said they were very relaxed around there when it came to firearms. i had a conversation with the president about concealed carry, and he said that as long as he knew who was carrying then he would be ok with it, so long as the appropriate license was acquired. but i left school before i ever got my CCL so i never got to test him and find out if he was serious about that or not. the president was a hunter and shooter himself, so he was pretty cool about that kind of stuff.

Awesome information. I think OWU now has a woman president.

I guess I need to call ASU and have a talk with them on their policies and to see what my options would be. I just didn't like the idea of going to little rock (or any place off campus) unarmed. I really don't like the idea of being unarmed on campus, but thems the breaks.....

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome information. I think OWU now has a woman president.

I guess I need to call ASU and have a talk with them on their policies and to see what my options would be. I just didn't like the idea of going to little rock (or any place off campus) unarmed. I really don't like the idea of being unarmed on campus, but thems the breaks.....

the pres is still Dr. Everett Piper. i hear him all the time on AM1000 here in OKC doing radio commercials.

yeah i def wouldnt want to go somewhere that i couldnt have my firearms. that would prob be a deal breaker for me, but good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom