Going to puree some persimmons ( Fail)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully it will work. Main problem will be getting the seeds to go through the slot in the end of the cone.
IMG_20221109_162843147.jpg

IMG_20221109_163041284.jpg
IMG_20221109_162936315.jpg
IMG_20221109_163041284.jpg
IMG_20221109_163128670.jpg

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would love to know how that works out.
I usually cook them down and mash them then mess with seeds.
I did some Raspberry jelly and got 99.9% of the seeds out.
It'll probably be this weekend before I get to it. I have used the juicer attachment for tomatoes for a couple years. It gets a lot of seeds out except for the small ones.
The slot in the end of the cone is only about 1/4" tall but about 3/4" wide. Seeds might hang up .

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Out deer hunting once and I came across a wild persimmon tree and after eating several of the sweet sticky fruit I figured that mama might want to try some of them.

I normally carry a zip lock bag on me for the heart and liver but I'd forgotten to replace it after getting a deer in black powder season so the only sort of container I had was my cap so I filled the cap full, headed back to the truck and drove home.

Mama really like the persimmons that had survived whole but the biggest part of them had turned to a sticky mush in my cap......the cap was impossible to clean and had to be tossed in the trash. :)

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You guys want to have some real fun? If you have a friend that chews tobacco, find a few green persimmons, grind them up and mix them in his pouch when he is not looking. Makes trying to spit lots of fun. To watch. :P

I deny to this day I did that to my buddy. I am sure I saw those persimmons crawl into his Redman pouch all by themselves. :rotflmao:

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
mine are all still on the tree, the few that have dropped aren't as ripe as i would like them to be yet.
but yeah, i've used that method with a chamois and it works fine. once they are soft enough, they will mush down just fine.

still have pulp from last year. i guess that means it's bread time!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of the persimmons on the trees are still unripe here.
Ours are done here in the Ponca Area. We have a small grove of 27 trees with more young ones coming on in our yard. The deer, coyotes, raccoons and possums swarm that area in October when they fall traditionally cleaning up the dropped fruit when they hit the ground.
I won't eat one hanging in the tree even though it's soft. It isn't ripe until it drops is my mantra.

In years past, I've tried to germinate seeds to start a grove at the farm but cannot get the seeds to start a sprout.
I read online that you had to use sandpaper to scuff up the exterior of the seed before they would germinate and another that said you had to use the seeds that had gone through the digestive system of an animal, so I've gathered deer and coyote poop trying to get those seeds to sprout. Nothing works.
They drop so many seeds one would think the groves would look like aspen forests in Colorado, but there must be something about them that prevents that.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a bunch of ripe ones in the store. I haven't paid any attention to the price. Maybe I'll look tomorrow -- if I remember.

Latest posts

Top Bottom