Going to puree some persimmons ( Fail)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ours are done here in the Ponca Area. We have a small grove of 27 trees with more young ones coming on in our yard. The deer, coyotes, raccoons and possums swarm that area in October when they fall traditionally cleaning up the dropped fruit when they hit the ground.
I won't eat one hanging in the tree even though it's soft. It isn't ripe until it drops is my mantra.

In years past, I've tried to germinate seeds to start a grove at the farm but cannot get the seeds to start a sprout.
I read online that you had to use sandpaper to scuff up the exterior of the seed before they would germinate and another that said you had to use the seeds that had gone through the digestive system of an animal, so I've gathered deer and coyote poop trying to get those seeds to sprout. Nothing works.
They drop so many seeds one would think the groves would look like aspen forests in Colorado, but there must be something about them that prevents that.
I've never had a problem getting seeds to germinate. Never sanded any, never used seeds in poop. Just seeds I spit out.
I don't even remember ever putting them through stratification. Maybe I did and don't remember.
I know pecans need stratification. Put them in potting soil and just set them somewhere outside to go through winter. Never did anything with them, was going to use as root stock and graft to them. Takes to long. 😂.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never had a problem getting seeds to germinate. Never sanded any, never used seeds in poop. Just seeds I spit out.
I don't even remember ever putting them through stratification. Maybe I did and don't remember.
I know pecans need stratification. Put them in potting soil and just set them somewhere outside to go through winter. Never did anything with them, was going to use as root stock and graft to them. Takes to long. 😂.
I'm going to have to look up stratification of seeds.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
seeds have to go through a freeze cycle like tulip bulbs?
Is there a time like weeks or months?
Not necessarily freeze but cold hours . Some folks say a month is long enough. But ground temperature will decide when it germinates. Some seeds need cool temperature and some need warmer temperature.
Also some trees have chemicals that prevent seeds from germinating nearby. Some need sunlight to germinate some need darkness.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@dennishoddy , I can tell you that the tap root will grow before you see any ground break.
Yes that's correct.
I was thinking of what we did to check our seed wheat and corn. Put a sample in a zip lock bag with a known number of seeds to see how many germinate so we can set the planters accordingly.
Have in the past tried that with persimmon seeds with zero results which is why I'm asking all of these questions.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes that's correct.
I was thinking of what we did to check our seed wheat and corn. Put a sample in a zip lock bag with a known number of seeds to see how many germinate so we can set the planters accordingly.
Have in the past tried that with persimmon seeds with zero results which is why I'm asking all of these questions.
It's been a few years since I sprouted any. I had some of the cheap black gallon containers I filled with potting mix. Put some seeds in and just let them do their thing which was nothing all winter. Just kept them damp. When it got warm enough in the spring they germinated.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's been a few years since I sprouted any. I had some of the cheap black gallon containers I filled with potting mix. Put some seeds in and just let them do their thing which was nothing all winter. Just kept them damp. When it got warm enough in the spring they germinated.
I'll try that. We have some big 10 gallon insulated flower pots around the patio that don't have flowers in them during the winter.
Thanks for the heads up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom