Going to start reloading .45acp...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but can you use large pistol magnum primers to load .45 acp?

Yes, you can. The magnum pistol primers are a little "hotter" than non magnum primers. They are for igniting larger amounts of slower burning powders than standard primers. It is not needed in most pistol cases and loads. I sometimes use standard large pistol primers in .44magnum cases with light loads.

If you can find data for doing so use it. There has been articles written about this. There can be problems with doing it.

You should not simply make the substitution and expect no problems.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but can you use large pistol magnum primers to load .45 acp?

Yes, you can. The magnum pistol primers are a little "hotter" than non magnum primers. They are for igniting larger amounts of slower burning powders than standard primers. It is not needed in most pistol cases and loads. I sometimes use standard large pistol primers in .44magnum cases with light loads.

If you can find data for doing so use it. There has been articles written about this. There can be problems with doing it.

You should not simply make the substitution and expect no problems.

Reduce your loads and go slow.

It is definitely not possible with the bastard small primer .45acp cases. I would not try it without more research.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Clays is first choice, followed by a far distance of hp38, but ymmv. loading straight wall, round ball ammo in .45 is a joy. Has a nice substantial feel to it when you got a big pile of it also.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Though I haven't ever used unique in a .45, I sure as everything use it for all the rest of the cartridges I load for. It just used to be so much cheaper than everything else.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Got the stuff today, only have one last question. Do yall crimp your .45 rounds? the guy at the store says he never does, I have read opinions both ways online, just curious about what yall do.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got the stuff today, only have one last question. Do yall crimp your .45 rounds? the guy at the store says he never does, I have read opinions both ways online, just curious about what yall do.

I do but it's almost a must to use a taper crimp die. .45 headspaces on the case mouth, too much and it will be headspacing on your extractor and it's only going to take so much of that before it breaks or gives reliability issues. Basically just remove all the bell, the bullet fit in the case is what holds it. Also a taper crimp die allows a little "leeway" the the new reloader as it's quite a bit harder to overcrimp and cause yourself problems.

Latest posts

Top Bottom