Going to start reloading .45acp...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a Lee hand press with "Anniversary Kit" that I currently do all my reloading on for .308, 223, .303 and 30-06. I am planning to buy the Lee Carbide 45 acp dies. But that's about all know... I have all the tools, except the dies, but have never reloaded pistol ammo before. Anything I should know? If it makes a difference the pistol I am loading for is a 1911.

I have heard Trailboss is a good powder to use, because you can't double charge it, can anyone confirm that, or recommend another?

Do you sort your brass? or just toss all 45 brass in the same bucket?

Any downside to using lead bullets?

Any other tips?

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Lee hand press with "Anniversary Kit" that I currently do all my reloading on for .308, 223, .303 and 30-06. I am planning to buy the Lee Carbide 45 acp dies. But that's about all know... I have all the tools, except the dies, but have never reloaded pistol ammo before. Anything I should know? If it makes a difference the pistol I am loading for is a 1911.

You are going to have fun. Pistol ammo is alot easier than bottlenecked rifle ammo.

I have heard Trailboss is a good powder to use, because you can't double charge it, can anyone confirm that, or recommend another?

I use Bullseye. You can certainly double charge Bullseye but if you are careful and have good equipment no worries. There are about 5 or 6 different powders that are a good fit for the .45.

Do you sort your brass? or just toss all 45 brass in the same bucket?

I don't sort brass.

Any downside to using lead bullets?

Lead bullets are the bomb, that's all I shoot. Buy them from Mitch at J&K Bullet Casters in Moore. Just don't try to make them go the speed of light.

Any other tips?

Have lots of fun!!!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No trimming, no primer pocket cleaning, no real worry about headstamp sorting (unless it's precision target or major match ammo) and no lube with carbide dies. Inexpensive lead will work, but smoke and extra cleaning is the price you pay. I use plated or jacketed personally.

I prefer Hodgdon Clays for target loads. It's inexpensive, economical, accurate and soft recoil. Enjoy! :)

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I guess I could add that as part of my reloading process I visually inspect each case after charging it, using a flashlight. Any large deviation in powder charge should be visible at that point, I suppose.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I could add that as part of my reloading process I visually inspect each case after charging it, using a flashlight. Any large deviation in powder charge should be visible at that point, I suppose.

I think it would be pretty difficult to miss a double charge with Clays.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I use 231 or Hp38 which is the same thing. Just more options... Oh, you can't beat J&K bullet casters cast lead bullets.

I have read in a few places that you get a lot of smoke from lead bullets due to the lube on them, and depending on what lube they use. Anyone have experience with this?

SoonerCowboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I normally in the past used Bullseye but lately I've been using Titewad and/or Trail Boss for my 45's. The later two are the more affordable powders and the 45's suck that powder up. I've been loading with lead for about 18 yrs with no problems but I would recommend using round nose and not flat nose if you choose lead.

You do get alot of smoke using lead.

acp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only use J&K cast RN. I don't think there is excessive smoke at all. Is there smoke, yes, is it annoying as hell? In my experience with their bullets it is not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom