Good .308 Rifle for long range precision

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm not real sure. I was thinking a Remington 700 but didn't know which model. Also not sure about pouring money into it over time. It would be nice to buy something badass right from the start but dropping that much cash may be a little steep. I was thinking out to 600 yards. Maybe 800 or 1000 once I get into it more.

Hard to beat a Savage. My stock and poorly scoped Savage 10fp was shooting under 3/4 moa straight out of the box.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want to upgrade it to a true custom over time Remington700. If you want to get a decent rifle to shoot and nothing else get a Savage. If you've got the bank get a TRG-22 or AI AE Mk II in .308. If you're talking 1000 yards plus it's hard to beat something in 6.5mm.

This.

Personally, (and knowing what you've already done with building several ARs), I would buy the cheapest Remington 700 action you can find in either .308 or .243 (because you can swap barrels on a .243 and you're back to .308) and then have Steve Baldwin upgrade the barrel to a Hart and blueprint the action.

Put that on a decent stock (B&C's Medalist Tactical is the best bang-for-the-buck in my opinion) and you've got a precision shooter that you didn't have to fund up front. Upgrade the trigger later and pick up a solid 20MOA base and some good rings and you've basically got a serious shooter.

I'm a huge fan of Timney triggers.

If you want a precision shooter with serious upgraded goodies already on it for a pretty good price, get this:

http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98699

Here's my first one - I started with a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308 (I would not do that again - spent a lot more money on stuff that I ended up replacing - Remington's stocks are crap until you get into the Hogue or HS stocks on particular models.

Before:

ai70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Remington_20700_IMG_5056.jpg

Ended up looking like this:

ai70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Remington_20700_DSCN02291.jpg

ai70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Remington_20700_DSCN8939.jpg

Here's one I built for my son - started out with a cheaper ADL (much better as it was cheaper up front and I was planning on replacing all the crappy parts just like I did with my SPS). I was originally going to use the old SPS barrel off of mine and have Steve re-cut the chamber, re-crown it at 20", thread it and chase the threads, but I decided it wasn't worth the extra money on a factory barrel and just had him put one of his Hart barrels on it.

Before:

[Broken External Image]

Here it is completed, next to mine (still needs paint):

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
M-14!!!!!

Why limit yourself to bolt action?

Just out of curiosity, what factors of a bolt-action are "limiting" when considering the use of long-range precision?

I can actually think of several more limiting factors on an M1A (and I say that with an M1A Loaded with a Stainless NM barrel on it sitting in my safe - no offense to the M1A, I love them to death, but they're not anything close to either of my bolt-guns in repeatable accuracy).

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Savage FT/R hands down - don't need to do anything but tune the action screws to shoot with the best: barrel, action, stock and trigger are top notch regardless of money.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what factors of a bolt-action are "limiting" when considering the use of long-range precision?

I can actually think of several more limiting factors on an M1A (and I say that with an M1A Loaded with a Stainless NM barrel on it sitting in my safe - no offense to the M1A, I love them to death, but they're not anything close to either of my bolt-guns in repeatable accuracy).

Are you asking what's limiting about the fact that you have a 5-round mag and have to break part of your position between every shot? If you're only worried about taking one shot with great precision, than nothing is limiting about a bolt gun. If there is a possibility of multiple targets, especially if they need to be dealt with relatively quickly, then maybe it is. There is also the fact that an M-14 can be used for more than long-range precision.

By "not anything close" in repeatable accuracy, I guess you mean a difference of about 1/4 to MAYBE 1/2 MOA? Just about any decent M-14 variant will shoot 1 MOA or less with good ammo. The OP is interested in shooting from 600-800, maybe 1000 yards... that is prime M-14 territory, especially if you're talking about man-sized targets. Now if you plan on shooting more than 1000 yards on a regular basis, or need to hit something smaller than a man-sized target at 700-1000 yards, I agree, a bolt gun is the only way to fly.

The limiting factors with an M-14 would be the impact on barrel harmonics by having a gas system attached to the barrel; the fact that bedding is a little more involved; and that you can't use the really heavy loads unless you buy an adjustable gas plug.

I guess it might depend on what exactly the OP has in mind using the rifle for. An M-14 could serve as an excellent battle rifle that could also perform some of the duties that are typically thought of as belonging to the "long-range precision rifle" category, and could lay down a little more firepower than a bolt gun.

If you just need something that can make a hit at long range as accurately as possible and don't care about any of that other stuff, then you can get what you want much easier and cheaper with a bolt gun.

It sounds like the OP is looking for an idea for his next rifle purchase, and I thought I'd remind him that the long-range game is not limited to bolt actions.

The .308 ARs are also not a bad idea. They tend to be about as accurate as a bedded M1A without having to go to the pain of bedding.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IF I had the money, which I don't right now, I would have a LaRue Tactical OBR. I'm not a Mark LaRue fan, but I enjoy his rifles and kit. His OBR (whether your disagree with the name of it or not) is plenty accurate.

Or if I had the money, I'd get the SR-25.

BUT, for now, I think a Remington 700, be it already tricked out or bone stock, is what I am wanting.
I am wanting a rifle that I can accurately, consistently, and confidently engage a target (man size or a bit smaller) out to 800 yards and on occasion 1000 yards. Not talking about multiple targets in a time constraint, but being able to set-up the shot, and take it with precision. And doing it again, and again, and again.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the M1A as a "precision" rifle. A battle rifle, sure, yes. I would like want with a low magnification scope, but not to take precision shots. I'm sure they're capable, but not my cup-o-tea.

I have a Browning A-Bolt 30-06 for a deer rifle. That isn't what I'm looking for. Something more "tactical" is what I have in mind.

I don't mean for every thread I start to become a pissing match. I guess it just happens that way. :pms2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom