Good .308 Rifle for long range precision

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I said I would not post on this and don't know why I am maybe the beer not for sure but I'm going to jump in with a couple of cents of my opinion. First a Remington action is a good action lots of custom rifles built on it and many years of fine shooting lots of aftermarket goodies you can add BUT there not all that like they used to be! you need to true the action, lap the lugs and singlepoint the thread are you a dang fine machinist? if you answer no you gotta pay someone to do it. I'm going to say your best bet would be to pick up a Savage rifle already chambered in 308, purchase a decent stock like a B&C get the best freakin' scope you can afford with a good +20MOA base and good rings take the accu-trigger out and replace with a SSS trigger and shoot! try your best to shoot the barrel outta that sucker and you will figure out if you NEED all the extra goodies later down the road but get out and shoot! not a bunch but good range time and practice the stuff that's gona make you a damn fine shot.

There are lots of high end riflemakers out that that do some fine work but you can't purchase experience end of story you have to practice! a short barrel will not make it harder on you due to less velocity or any of those other excusses if you practice and know what your rifle is going to do! hard to beat a 6.5mm for long range? it's easy 7mm!

Your going to get a different answer from each pst as to what's the best it's human nature I just don't believe most of it I'm that guy that likes to rock the boat per say. You say you don't want to reload? well at some point that will be a restriction to your accuracy you can build rounds much more precise than the factory mass produced rounds granted some are better than others they will never match a round loaded to a rifle don't think anyone will argue that but the other stuff I said wel I'm sure could have upset some others :-) Later,

Kirk

Latest posts

Top Bottom