Good .308 Rifle for long range precision

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rem 700 XCR Tactical Compact would be my vote for that price range on a factory rifle. It is closer to $1200 though unless you find a used one.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rem 700 XCR Tactical Compact would be my vote for that price range on a factory rifle. It is closer to $1200 though unless you find a used one.

That is an awesome rifle... but for the long range precision role I would get the regular tactical model with the 26" barrel rather than the tactical compact with the 20" barrel.

You want to squeeze all the velocity you can out of that .308 for the distance stuff. That 20" barreled version is probably intended more for urban sniping in a police role or something.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you asking what's limiting about the fact that you have a 5-round mag and have to break part of your position between every shot?

Wasn't trying to start a Pissing match (not that you're pissing my way :D ).

There's nothing that says you're limited to a 5-rd mag with a Remington 700 - there are plenty of bottom-metal solutions with 10rd mags - I don't fancy toting around my M1A with more than 10rds in it if I'm going to do any long-range or precision shooting.

The mags become cumbersome with a standard sling and the side-sling options are less desirable in my opinion than say an AR.

Not that the M1A isn't more than capable for the most part, but the majority of factory modern-day guns are not even MOA capable from what I've heard from most of the folks I know that shoot them. That fact is pretty obviously noticeable at 600+ yds.

If you call Springfield about it with a complaint, they will say to send it back and they will have a look at it, but most likely, everything will be "in spec" for their commercial-grade rifles and they will return it to you.

To be fair(since I'm comparing a tricked out Remington 700 to an M1A), I've seen built M1As that can do MOA or less, but its nowhere near a custom bolt -gun.

Lots of good info here:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1496698

I'm not bashing it, I love the M1A (and M14) and all of its nostalgia, but I've not seen one that will out-shoot a Bolt-gun (or come close to a custom-built bolt). If you know of one that will consistently hold MOA or less for more than 5rds, then I'd love to go shooting with you and see it (seriously). As I've said, I love the rifle.

As to this:

That is an awesome rifle... but for the long range precision role I would get the regular tactical model with the 26" barrel rather than the tactical compact with the 20" barrel.

You want to squeeze all the velocity you can out of that .308 for the distance stuff. That 20" barreled version is probably intended more for urban sniping in a police role or something.

Not true at all - both my rifles are 22" barrels and I'd put them up against any 26" rifle out there - this has been consistently proven again and again - barrel-length doesn't affect accuracy in .308.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15qj032UJ1I&feature=related

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The shorter you go the more velocity you lose. This loss in velocity makes them less forgiving at range. Wind is the big issue here. A competent shooter can make a .308 go to 1k, but you have less margin for error on your wind guesses and the come ups are gonna be more dramatic with a shorter barrel. A shorter barrel is not less accurate than a longer barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom