good reloader tulsa area?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
okay, i am sure this has come up before and been asked a ton of times and i am sorry, i looked briefly and did not see anything in this category.

was talking to a co-worker and he mentioned that a guy "his gunsmith" reloads 38 special for him for 6.50 per 50 rounds.

this caught me as a shock, i mean i always assumed reloading was cheaper than buying new ammo. but last time i checked i thought the cheapest 38 ammo started at like 18 or better for 50.

i know i do not have the time, space, or start up funds to dare toy with the idea to try the reloading endeavor myself.

but i am sure someone is reloading for a profit that could still save me a nice chunk of change for simply holding on to my brass. so, who should i go to in the tulsa/broken arrow area.

i shoot 38special/357mag, 9mm, and 223.

also, on a side note. i shoot a nice bit of 22lr. is it worth hanging on to the brass to take to the scrap yard? or are they going to tell me i need to clean the gunk out of it, or that its worth so little i might as well let the range keep it.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At a minimum you must have a license to reload unless it is for your own personal use.

Getting into reloading can be as cheap as 100 bucks for the lee KIT.

You might try just selling your brass to other reloaders to offset the cost of new ammo

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
man. for $150 you can be in the clear next week if you shoot a decent amount of 38/357. not a big endeavor at all, in fact quite relaxing.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i am not sure about reloading myself. i am doubtful that it will save the small fry shooters like me any money. from doing the the math just what i can see, it will cost the same or more, on top of my spare time.

9mm rounds i can buy bulk finished ready to shoot for about 19 cents a round.

prices i have seen for components to reload seems to be
3 cents per primer, 12-13 cents per bullet, and powder is difficult to determine the cost per round, but if i had to guess its probably at least 1-2 cents per 9mm round. so its basically the exact same and i do not suppose i can use the same brass more than a few times. 223 seems to be the same way. and those are the two rounds i shoot the most, the 38special/357mag i rarely shoot because i just cannot bring myself to spend 20 bucks on a box of 50 rounds and clean my purdy stainless revolver, when i can get almost twice as much ammo to run thru my 92.

it was just a fleeting thought. i figured if there were people around that made their bread and butter saving people money on reloading their brass vs buying new, i would take em up on it. i will probably just save and sell my used brass to other reloaders and buy new rounds as usual.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When talking reloading, just like anything else bulk is best. save more that way. Just to give you an idea, I started with the lee press kit. I bought everything I needed in one swoop, press kit came with virtually every tool needed, but I also got dies, a tumbler, media for the tumbler, 500 pcs. 223 brass, 500 .223 bullets a pound of powder, a thousand primers and a reloading manual, I think I was in for around 350-375 startup.

Within a week I had the system down, now a couple years later, I can go and load around 100-150 rounds an hour on my single stage lee press (brass that has been sized and processed). now to put this in perspective, the .223 ammo I was loading (55gr. Hornady V-max) would have ran me at least $20/box(20) I was loading it for around 7-8.

Then I went to loading .30-06 and the ammo I was loading then Was 165gr Hornady sst, they would have ran me around $25/box, I was loading them for 11.

You can ask yourself, "Is this going to save me money?" but most generally the answer is no, simply because You will find that you shoot alot more for about the same cost as you were shooting the factory loads.

Just my thoughts, but be warned, once you start it is very hard not to get addicted.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't like shooting ammo reloaded by someone else. Nothing personal, it's just too easy to make a mistake and double-charge a round. I've bought some bad reloads in the past. If you shoot that much .38/.357 you can pay for a reloading kit pretty fast. It takes up very little space and is not hard to learn. If not, I'd spend the extra money for factory ammo IMO.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll also chime in as a relatively new reloader and say that I got into reloading for the same reason, .38, .357 but also .44 mag. Yes, it is worth the money to get a setup to reload .38 and .357, the savings is significant. I think one could reload 9mm with some cost savings, but it's not worth it to me. I also think that .223 can be found at modest enough prices not to require reloading, however the ammo won't be nearly as good as the reloaded ammo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom