1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Got another gill-gun (Springfield 87A)

Discussion in 'Rimfire Weapons' started by Catt57, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Catt57

Catt57 Gill-Gun Guru

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I could always use a few boxes of spare parts for these.. :D
    In fact I'm looking for a cheap front sight for one of them. And the sideplate scope mount for another.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  2. Mack45

Mack45 Sharpshooter

I had to google "gill gun". Very cool, I had never heard of one before. Do they fire from open bolt?

Catt57 likes this.
  3. Catt57

Catt57 Gill-Gun Guru

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    No, not open bolt. There is a bolt and a hammer. But instead of the hammer hitting the firing pin, the pin locks into a notch and groove in the hammer and is just driven home by the hammer via a matching groove in the bolt.

It is a very unique action.

Check out my post here to see a video of these in action.
    https://www.okshooters.com/threads/savage-stevens-click-clacks-gill-guns.215922/

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  4. Mack45

Mack45 Sharpshooter

Thanks for the video. I see (hear) where they get the click-clack nickname from too.

Catt57 likes this.
  5. gfercaks33

gfercaks33 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Where do you find them? I recently read the 87a has a tendency to go full auto, how does one fix that? I’ve seen you post about these and now I’m interested.

Catt57 likes this.
  6. Catt57

Catt57 Gill-Gun Guru

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Pawn shops, Armslist, etc. I've never had one try to go full auto. Can't say that I've ever heard of that issue.

7. rawhide

rawhide Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    The first gun that was really my own was an 87A that I still have. Given to me along with 3 other guns after a family friend's house fire. I was able to save 3 of the 4. Haven't fired the 87 in at least 20 years but shot thousands of rounds through it as a kid and will never part with it. Too many great memories tied to that rifle.

MilitantBEEMER and Catt57 like this.
  8. Skyking90

Skyking90 New to the site!

I know this is a long shot but would you be willing to copy the manual I would be willing to pay

9. RAD501

RAD501 New to the site!

I ran across this thread while trying to locate a lifter mechanism for a Springfield J. Stevens 87A I inherited from my grandfather years ago. After leaving it the gun cabinet all these years I pulled it out and started going through it, as I vaguely remember that it wouldn’t feed. I do remember hunting with it as a young boy a few times and it was a much, much better shot than my Marlin, even while having to compensate for the missing rear sight step. How’s that for a bit of nostalgia.

Turns out that it is missing the lifter, it’s pin and washers and spring, from what I can tell. Looking at the diagram and parts list on the Numrich site, the 87A apparently has two variants of lifters - “new style” and “old style(spring style).” Mine apparently takes the old style, as my magazine guide does not have a cutout for the tip of the new style lifter to pass through as it lifts the shell.

The Numrich folks show to have those in stock, so I’ll be ordering the parts. If you have any advice on the orientation of the old style lifter I’d appreciate it. It’s hard to tell from the parts diagram.

Catt57 likes this.
  10. HoLeChit

HoLeChit Semper Fidelis

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Big boys guns has a couple. According to @Catt57 none of them are really a steal. Worth going and picking up to get a feel though.

Catt57 likes this.