Got my new toy(s) in...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After having a nightmare of a ordering fiasco with G&R Tactical (dont ever order from them, believe me...) and then placing the order with Larue Tactical (who I should of have placed the order with originally) my Aimpoint COMP M3 showed up with the Larue Tactical cantilever mount.

Now let me say as soon as I opened the box up I was already impressed. Not only was the sight and mount in the box but Larue also included a nice aluminum (in the shape of a Armadillo since they are from Texas) bottle opener, a bottle of dry rub BBQ sauce, and a Larue Tactical hat. Overall I was pretty impressed as I placed the order last Friday after the day from hell with G&R and didnt expect the sight until later on this week.

The sight is nice, way nice for a holographic sight. Top notch build quality and was very easy to setup and get operational. Larue's mount that they make was also was nicer than I had ever seen. It is a cantilever setup so that when I order the magnifyer for the Aimpoint the magnifyer mount will fit right behind the COMP M3. Thier mount also has a built in spot for a extra battery for the sight and it is a quick release design that returns to zero when you put it back on the rifle.

Overal I am way impressed with Larue Tactical and even though they were $50 higher than G&R for the exact same setup which I thought was wierd since Larues makes the mount that G&R was selling me I am happy with them and would highly suggest looking to them as they offer all sorts of products.

My other toy was I had my Remington 870 recoated. Seems Remington quit using their old coating and went with a powder coat process, well my shotgun had only been to the range once and the coating was coming off and had rust under it in spots. I took it up to H&H and spoke with Chris and since I bought it from them he cut me a deal on a strip and recoat. It came out way nice, I was really impressed with how good of a job H&H did on the shotgun.

So enough talking, some pics and now I cant wait to get back out the range once it warms back up.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I think Remington's new coating is called Rust-quick or something - one day at the range with my 700 in the humidity, and in the car on the way home (with the A/C going), it showed signs of surface rust.

You need to scoot that mount forward about 3 Rail slots :thumb:

Looks good man. Did you get a purple Dillo or a regular one? I got a "Happy holidays" one with my last order that was bright purple.

Oh, and what Quad Rail is that?

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am there with you on the new Remington "rust quick" coating. Chris said that the coating on the reciever literally came off with sand paper and it had lots of rust spots under the finish. The rest of the shotgun though the finish would not hardly come off at all with the media blaster, said the smith had to spend some extra time on the other areas to get them cleaned up.

Overall the finish looks great now and is 10x better than anything that Remington had on it from the factory, plus Remington was a joke to deal with when I called them to get the gun looked at under warranty. With the shipping charges it was only $30 more than have H&H do it instead of shipping it back to Remington to get the exact same ole coating put right back on the shotgun. I also had them fix a boboo that I did when I mounted the Wilson ghost rings, when I drilled the spot for the rear mount and went to tap it I didnt notice that J&E supply had sold me the wrong tap and jacked it up so the hole had to be filled and then the sight remounted correctly.

Thanks for the FYI on moving the mount forward, I was totally guessing on where it went versus it being in a comfortable position.

Larue will be getting some return business from me for sure, I saw alot of other items on their website that went on my wish list for sure. I got the purple dillo, I think it is the holiday one as well. It had already been opened and put to use tonight...lol

My quadrail is a YHM along with my front and rear BUIS.

I already have my new projects lined up. Now I just need some time and some overtime pay to fund them-

Surefire fore-end for my Remington 870
Trigger for my AR-15
Trijicon sights for both of my S&W MP handguns
Trigger job for both of the S&W MP handguns
HS Precision stock for my Savage 10FP
Get the barrel cut down on the 10FP to 20"
Pick up a DPMS or Armalite AR-10

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am there with you on the new Remington "rust quick" coating. Chris said that the coating on the reciever literally came off with sand paper and it had lots of rust spots under the finish. The rest of the shotgun though the finish would not hardly come off at all with the media blaster, said the smith had to spend some extra time on the other areas to get them cleaned up.

Overall the finish looks great now and is 10x better than anything that Remington had on it from the factory, plus Remington was a joke to deal with when I called them to get the gun looked at under warranty. With the shipping charges it was only $30 more than have H&H do it instead of shipping it back to Remington to get the exact same ole coating put right back on the shotgun. I also had them fix a boboo that I did when I mounted the Wilson ghost rings, when I drilled the spot for the rear mount and went to tap it I didnt notice that J&E supply had sold me the wrong tap and jacked it up so the hole had to be filled and then the sight remounted correctly.

Thanks for the FYI on moving the mount forward, I was totally guessing on where it went versus it being in a comfortable position.

Larue will be getting some return business from me for sure, I saw alot of other items on their website that went on my wish list for sure. I got the purple dillo, I think it is the holiday one as well. It had already been opened and put to use tonight...lol

My quadrail is a YHM along with my front and rear BUIS.

I already have my new projects lined up. Now I just need some time and some overtime pay to fund them-

Surefire fore-end for my Remington 870
Trigger for my AR-15
Trijicon sights for both of my S&W MP handguns
Trigger job for both of the S&W MP handguns
HS Precision stock for my Savage 10FP
Get the barrel cut down on the 10FP to 20"
Pick up a DPMS or Armalite AR-10

FYI, you might not need as much overtime if you look at the Bell & Carlson Medalist Tactical stock over that HS - I've got both and I honestly don't know where the extra $200 went in the HS. Also, I don't know if anyone's recommended a good smith to you on your Savage yet, but I'm a huge fan of Steve Baldwin (Mechanical Accuracy in Jones).

Hobbies cost a lot - remember, its all just stuff (it doesn't buy happiness), but what you do with it does :thumb:

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the other stock options EZ Bake, I will check them out. I have already contact Mechanical Accuracy and that is who I plan on taking the 10FP to once I get around to its mod time.

Now is it just a matter of prioritizing the mods and figuring out which one is up next.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just do a search in the general forum under my username and find my need to vent thread.

I would stay far, far, far away from them if it was me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom