Got some meat chickens ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had a feed store in Ponca that had a machine to strip the feathers from a chicken It closed, but I've recently found a guy that uses a washing machine with special fingers inside to take the feathers off. He told me that its available on the internet, but wouldnt tell the name.
So If you want to go this way google "removing chicken feathers" and see what pops up.

weav199

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saw a YouTube vid with that machine. Clean bird in just a few seconds! Way cool.
10-4 on them being stupid birds. They dont have the survival instincts my other birds have. I lost a few to hawks because the don't take the cues from the others and hide.

Belthos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We raised chickens when I was growing up, always had fresh eggs.

Grandpa raised bunny rabbits and we ate those as well. Lots of meat, grow fast and there is a reason they talk about the breeds like a bunny rabbit.

Rabbit is good, I'd tell you it tastes like chicken, but it doesn't.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ncarper -- I'd like to hear more about your system if you don't mind ... thanks!

dennis and weav -- I saw a magazine at the bookstore that showed how to built one of those. We have a washing maching that needs a new purpose. It is tempting but I'm not sure it's necessary with as few a birds as we have to do. Of course, if I have my way we'll be staggering purchases and butchering birds at regular intervals so ... maybe it would be worth it to build. Dunno ... BUT if we do decide to try our hand at finagling one of those pluckers, I'll post up! :D

weav -- yeah, I've noticed. I was thinking yesterday that they were all sick or something (I don't recall messing with meat birds too much when I was a kid. We basically stuck with quail, pheasant and rabbit). They are strange little birds, that's for sure. I'm starting to think that "free ranging" for them is not gonna require much space at all. They really don't like to scoot around much, do they?

The rest of you comedians!! :lmfao: :lmfao: (It depends on what kinda mood I'm in!! :D)

belthos -- And no, rabbit does NOT taste like chicken ... :scratch: I dunno how that got started ...

OB -- He's never actually done the dirty deed, I don't think. Watched me a couple of times. Kinda weirded him out how fast it was the first time, I think. I don't piddle around because it's really not something I enjoy doing so ... Just gotta get in there and get it done and over with.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OB -- He's never actually done the dirty deed, I don't think. Watched me a couple of times. Kinda weirded him out how fast it was the first time, I think. I don't piddle around because it's really not something I enjoy doing so ... Just gotta get in there and get it done and over with.

This part is hilarious! I might put this quote in my sig!

Latest posts

Top Bottom