Gotta love Lyman Customer Service, or the lack there of

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coug91

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use Hornady dies because of the different sized expander balls available. These are 762 Mauser, sized to 307. Made fir a short case and much more tapered than standard 308 balls. Polish with JBs bore paste to remove the brass buildup from case forming.

Attachments

• E56E483B-F7BE-4021-9840-9263CF44BF5A.jpeg
    E56E483B-F7BE-4021-9840-9263CF44BF5A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 94B3F5FD-0D1E-474C-BCCF-B0E9F09AA04D.jpeg
    94B3F5FD-0D1E-474C-BCCF-B0E9F09AA04D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I only use Redding dies now, but early on when I was using a set of Lyman dies (that I still have but just sits around now 'in case') Lyman customer service took care of me without any problems when I had an issue with their dies. That was awhile back though so who knows, maybe they've gone downhill since then.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dies all get the polished treatment and many get honed to fit my fired brass better.
99% are Lee dies and I have 1 Hornady custom grade die set for 6.5 Cm and it got honed and polished just like the Lee dies.

I do not like to rework my cases very much 0.0 to .002" and max of .003".
That is rifle stuff anyway.

If you are pinching a case down .008" or more anywhere that takes a lot of force and you better have a nice polished die to make your life much easier.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you buy direct from Lyman or can you get the original retailer to address the problem for you?

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dies all get the polished treatment and many get honed to fit my fired brass better.
99% are Lee dies and I have 1 Hornady custom grade die set for 6.5 Cm and it got honed and polished just like the Lee dies.

I do not like to rework my cases very much 0.0 to .002" and max of .003".
That is rifle stuff anyway.

If you are pinching a case down .008" or more anywhere that takes a lot of force and you better have a nice polished die to make your life much easier.
https://www.varmintal.com/arelo.htm#Polish

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems like they could have at least emailed you a die deminsional blueprint to check yours before going to all the trouble of sending it back if it is in fact a factory defect. I couldn't imagine it still being proprietary info, but who knows.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would pull the expander/ decapper out
Then lube the case with lube on your fingers and send it in and see if it comes back out easier.

Now measure the expander at it's fattest section it should be around .307" or smaller.

You could actually do that first.
To make sure your measuring tool is spot on measure a few bullets if you have any jacketed ones.
Should measure .308" if that is what you are using.
You can look at a dimension chart for that case.
The case body without expander will be the same but only change is the neck portion without expander.
Expander is still stuck in the 3rd case and it snapped off from the decapping stem.

I did take my Hornady Small Base sizer die and run a few cases through it. Very smooth in and out. No issues. Now, no expander though.

I'm going to chuck it and get another die.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your customer support experience is why I would always ask for a supervisor. Too many times I have relied upon someone else's lack of knowledge requiring me to "send it in".

Latest posts

Top Bottom