Seating Consistency

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Someone tell me why I can’t get seating consistency? Brand new Starline, across the board, trim, shoulder, bullet, everything is within .001, yet more often than not I get the setting dead on, try rolling through, but on the second one I’m .02 or worse, and have to dial every one in. Is this normal, do I need to expect to dial them all in when going for consistency, or am I doing something wrong? I know people get better consistency than I’m getting.

I’ve also cleaned the die, case head, and case holder.

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You need the Hornady Bullet Comparator kit.

Screenshot 2023-03-06 114237.jpg

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The other consideration is how your die is installed in the press. If you don't feel any resistance when the press toggles over then you may need to lower the die. Most die manufacturers recommend to screw in to touch the shell holder and then add another 1/4 turn or so to get that resistance. This problem really shows up worse on a turret press.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The other consideration is how your die is installed in the press. If you don't feel any resistance when the press toggles over then you may need to lower the die. Most die manufacturers recommend to screw in to touch the shell holder and then add another 1/4 turn or so to get that resistance. This problem really shows up worse on a turret press.
Yessir I set all my presses/dies to cam over on sizing die. This takes operator feel out of the equation and makes everything mechanical.

Latest posts

Top Bottom