Gotta start somewhere...BBQ

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ordered a Masterbuilt Smoker from Sportsmans Guide today, I received $50.00 off and the total was: $256.74, broken down: Smoker: $269.98, Sales tax: $24.57, Shipping and handling: $10.00, package protection: $1.99. Sub Toral: $306.54. minus: $50.00 = $256.54. That is for the smoker without the window and for the optional legs. Thanks to all for advising me on what to buy!

I have been using the electric masterbuilt for years and I like it I still have the old stick burner and use it because there are some things the masterbuilt just don't do as well. also depending on the model smoker you got I would suggest this Masterbuilt® Slow Smoker

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok last weekend I did a small brisket. Not amazing but much better than my first few attempts at ribs. I was pleasantly surprised for a first try.
Back to ribs this weekend, finally got moist AND tender. Thus far they have been moist OR tender. This was about 6.5hrs at 235.
I guess I need to order more dry rub. When you're using it every weekend you go through it pretty quick!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to buy family packs of chuck roasts at Sam's just for this and Pepper Stout Beef. I'm not crazy about bell peppers, so I use poblanos instead.

I bought two 2.5" thick USDA Choice chuck roasts at Costco Monday to try this recipie. Looks awesome, and I will be adding the jalepeno's along with hatch green chili's.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok last weekend I did a small brisket. Not amazing but much better than my first few attempts at ribs. I was pleasantly surprised for a first try.
Back to ribs this weekend, finally got moist AND tender. Thus far they have been moist OR tender. This was about 6.5hrs at 235.
I guess I need to order more dry rub. When you're using it every weekend you go through it pretty quick!
Told you so. :hey3:

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's all a learning curve!

I also think I need to let the smoker warm up longer. It'll get to temp pretty quick but its not heatsoaked so the temps vary alot as it cycles on and off. I noticed once it had been on for a while, the temps were way more consistent.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's all a learning curve!

I also think I need to let the smoker warm up longer. It'll get to temp pretty quick but its not heatsoaked so the temps vary alot as it cycles on and off. I noticed once it had been on for a while, the temps were way more consistent.
My first pellet grill was a traeger. Hated it. Temp swings were everywhere. Wife was on fakebook one day and saw that putting a toilet paper roll over the temp probe that regulated temp controller made it much more stable, so I tried it and it really helped. Our pit boss pellet grill now doesn't have that issue.
You will also find that putting lots of food into the pellet grill will cause temp variations as the steam from veggi's will cool it down until they lose the moisture and so on.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once it really got up to temp, seemed to maintain within like 10 degrees. I had been turning it on about a half hour early and it would be at temp in about 15 minutes, but swings would last an hour or two then settle down. I might give it 1-1.5 hours to get to temp and stabilize next weekend and see what happens.

I've never eaten so many ribs, but I'm not complaining! 11 slabs of ribs and a brisket so far!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Once it really got up to temp, seemed to maintain within like 10 degrees. I had been turning it on about a half hour early and it would be at temp in about 15 minutes, but swings would last an hour or two then settle down. I might give it 1-1.5 hours to get to temp and stabilize next weekend and see what happens.

I've never eaten so many ribs, but I'm not complaining! 11 slabs of ribs and a brisket so far!
Wife and I did the BBQ competition circuit for a couple of years. She won't hardly eat smoked meat anymore. I love it to this day, but she got burned out on it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom