grip tape on your gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SeanO that's looks good. Don't be scared Mitch. It is not that hard. If the grips are hard to come by you could on some PMags. You could probably get a box of at grips for next to nothing though.

Thanks! Anyone that wants help with there's in the Tulsa area I'd be glad to help. All you need is a dremel with sanding drums and a soldering iron, and to pick up me up :)

CharlieMurphy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you stipple the Glock it looks a lot better if you sand the grip smooth first. You can see in the first picture where it wasn't done. Not that hard and you can do a bunch of different patterns with different tips. The grittiest one I have found is with a sharp point, thin body tip.

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you stipple the Glock it looks a lot better if you sand the grip smooth first. You can see in the first picture where it wasn't done. Not that hard and you can do a bunch of different patterns with different tips. The grittiest one I have found is with a sharp point, thin body tip.

My first pic? If so, sorry, you're incorrect. All factory "grip" was sanded smooth first. I learned that lesson doing the ribbed blackstrap of an A2 grip

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I sold them, I sold them online and got above market value due to the stippling. The market to sell stippled guns is there if you look.

www.wildsoundmovies.com_images_anchorman_agree_to_disagree.jpg

i42.tinypic.com_dw3ml5.jpg

eyecyou

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought just plain jane skateboard grip tape and put a strip on my 1911. Then i did the entire fore stock on my 100atr. Now I've wrapped my ar for end and pistol grip, so i guess you could say I'm a grip fanatic

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lowes sells a roll of 3M Safety Walk tape in rolls. Best kept secret if you like grip tape on your firearms.

The gray tape is thicker and rated for both indoor and outdoor for shoes and bare feet. The black tape is the same as skateboard tape essentially, but more durable and rated for outdoors with shoes and not as thick as the gray tape. It's about as thin as paper and once it's on the firearm, it feels like it was part of the polymer.

I use the black tape. The best thing about it is that the tape seems to have a plastic or polymer coating on it, so unlike skateboard tape, you don't have to worry about the grit "wearing off" like sandpaper.

The best part is I have lots of this stuff and can experiment to my hearts content on how I want to add grip tape to my guns. I carry IWB and typically don't wear a shirt underneath, so as much as I would like to slather grip tape on the support hand side, I can't unless I like having a bleeding and raw right abdomen. With the tape, I can put tiny strips of tape in strategic placements on the support side grip that gives me just enough grip with my support hand, yet allows me to carry IWB and not worry about the gun chewing through my skin.

I even put strips of this tape on the slide. On my Glocks, I put a thin strip on the very end of both sides of the slide right where the serrations end. On my HK USP, I actually have thin strips of grip tape in between the spaces of the serrations.

I also have a strip of tape on top of the slide just in front of the rear sight to help with 1 hand manipulation type drills on all my pistols.

imgur.com_kwUu82z.jpg

Note how paper thin the black tape is. Adds virtually zero bulk.

YooperTrav

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a couple questions about the rubberized Talon Grips...

1-Do the grips cause problems when carrying concealed? Ive heard your cover garment will cling to the grips....

2-Im carrying my Gen 4 G27 right now at 330 and that grip texture is wearing my love handles raw. Will the Talon Grips make it any more comfortable?

thanks in advance
Travis

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a couple questions about the rubberized Talon Grips...

1-Do the grips cause problems when carrying concealed? Ive heard your cover garment will cling to the grips....

2-Im carrying my Gen 4 G27 right now at 330 and that grip texture is wearing my love handles raw. Will the Talon Grips make it any more comfortable?

thanks in advance
Travis

If you don't wear an undershirt, then your only choices are to remove some or all of the grip tape on the side touching your body or use a less grit grip tape on your body side that is comfortable.

I had this same problem and my solution was was to remove tape off the bottom half of the back heel of the grip and also remove 75% of the tape on the side touching the body (mainly bottom half.) You'll have to experiment, but depending on your holster, only a specific part of the grip is actually rubbing against your body. That's the part you will want to remove the grip tape from.

I have a 1" square piece of grip tape on the upper half of the grip just below the thumb groove on the support side of my glock, as that's the only part that won't rub against my body. It's also just enough for the heel of my palm / bottom thumb heel is on the when I grip my gun with my support hand. It works for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom