grip tape on your gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riper1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started using the talon grip tape sandpaper type not the rubber type on my pistols a few years ago, I took combat pistol 1 from TDSA (The best) and they recommended it
and started shooting some IDPA and i noticed most of the shooters did'nt have it, and was wondering how many of you use or don't use it and why?
I fell in love with this stuff, now if i pickup and handle a gun without it feels like the gun is slippery,
I don't love the way it kooks but function over looks any day.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to do that with my old Glocks. Grip tape was always mounds cheaper than the "kits" you could buy specifically for pistols. I used to sand my frames smooth before putting it on, otherwise it would slip during hot weather outdoor shooting and gum up my palms pretty good.

Made the switch a few years ago over to rtf2 frames. Ended up buying four 17's, two with fishgills/two without, haven't looked back since. Though I think I'm gonna have to bust out the soldering iron on the G20sf... I've gotten too used to the rough frames.

riper1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I pretty sure the grip tape has improved over the years I've got a glock 17 thats has talon grip tape for 3 yrs and still going strong, no sanding required

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes but can you make if feel like 400 grit sandpaper? I can remove my tape any time, and the gun is unmolested if i want to sell it

My old glocks were stippled to hell, 3x rougher than an RTF frame. The texture is up to the user, many different designs and aggressive varieties to choose from. It also won't peel when you don't want it to.

When I sold them, I sold them online and got above market value due to the stippling. The market to sell stippled guns is there if you look.

My G19 Gen 4 went for $700 shipped with an advertised 38k rounds down the barrel. It was cheaper to buy my used already stippled gun than new and send it off for stippling. That said, selling to a gun shop you will get less than a stock gun would, due to it being harder for them to sell.

I also don't collect guns. I own 3 at a time AR, 870 and a Glock. The only reason I've sold any is because I needed the cash at the time. So resale value isn't on my radar.

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tapatalk wouldn't let me add photos to my above post after the fact

img.tapatalk.com_d_14_01_06_meqypy6y.jpg
img.tapatalk.com_d_14_01_06_sa6u2ery.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom