1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

gun clubs in oklahoma & the NRA

Discussion in 'Gun Club/Range Talk' started by avtomatkalashnikov, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Aries

Aries Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
  2. Rod Snell

Rod Snell Sharpshooter

Another +1 for the OKC gun club. I live in Altus and can still shoot in the competitions at OKC as a non-member. You really need to see the place! Their monthly USPSA matches are as large and well organized as some club's special matches. Really world class place.

As for the NRA, well, I've been fighting the gun wars since the 1968 Gun Law that really started the downhill slide in the US, and the only effective place to be is on the inside, helping, and often arguing. Make no mistake, the NRA is the most effective organization at the national level politically. As an NRA instructor, I am more active in the gun sports and educational side of NRA.
    As with any large organization, I sometimes get irate with policies and decisions; my letters go directly to the NRA board and specific board members and help rein in NRA officials.
    Any organization has internal arguments: I disagree with the IDPA changes, for example, so much I resigned as a Match Director, but still belong to IDPA.

NRA Benefactor Member

Buzzdraw and OKCHunter like this.
  3. SnakeCreekSS

SnakeCreekSS Marksman

4. k4ylr

k4ylr Sharpshooter

NRA sentiments aside. OKC Gun Club is the jam:

dennishoddy and thor447 like this.
  5. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    We have a junior rifle club that has been in existence since the 50's in Ponca City with volunteers that teach the .22 rimfire precision rifle class. I went through the class in the early 60's. It formed the basics of my shooting that exists today.
    The Oklahoma chapter of the Friends of the NRA with its banquets and auctions generate enough money that our club sponsored support of the Junior Club is supported with ammo, rifles, shooting jackets, targets, and so on.
    The Friends of the NRA donate a lot of the money gathered back to the state ranges as grants. Some is sent back to the parent organization.

thor447 and Neckbeard like this.
  6. mr ed

mr ed Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    What most people don't understand about the NRA is that there is basically two different ones.
    One division is the hunter/shooter side which develope's the shooting part.
    Gun clubs / ranges / training= shooting sports
    Hunting =laws, events,
    Guns, Reloading, Information, etc.

The other side, the political side is the one everybody complains they do too little and are always asking for money.
    Yes, on this side there may be problems. Just like any big organization it takes a lot of money to operate.
    Yes , you can opt out on receiving mail begging for money.
    But most are too lazy to make the call and just sit on internet forums and complain.

Most all the other Pro-Gun Orgs are pretty small and don't really do much except photo ops, complain on the internet and stuff the donations in their pocket.

dennishoddy, OKCHunter and SMS like this.