Gun for my daughter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking for advice on a gun to leave at home with my daughter. She is 18, knows her gun safety and has practiced several times with a Glock 26. I want to get another gun, a revolver, for her at the house. I don't really want to spend a fortune on it because it hopefully will never get shot, but if needed, I want to know it will go bang. What's your advice?

Rugerlab45

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I'm a huge revolver and a 1911 fan, but use and respect Glocks a lot..... Why dont you just pick up a Glock 17 or 19 and call it good? Works the exact same as the G26 she's driven, and theres ammo compatibility (and to an extent, mag compatibility too.... The big guns mags work fine in the little one). If she was gonna be toting it with her, a J Frame Smith would make a lot of sense. Hard to shoot little guns at any distance, but very fast into action and forgiving at the probable muzzle contact distances a female is likely to encounter on the street. Really tho, I think a bigger gun is more appropriate for the house.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rugerlab45 said:
Well, I'm a huge revolver and a 1911 fan, but use and respect Glocks a lot..... Why dont you just pick up a Glock 17 or 19 and call it good? Works the exact same as the G26 she's driven, and theres ammo compatibility (and to an extent, mag compatibility too.... The big guns mags work fine in the little one). If she was gonna be toting it with her, a J Frame Smith would make a lot of sense. Hard to shoot little guns at any distance, but very fast into action and forgiving at the probable muzzle contact distances a female is likely to encounter on the street. Really tho, I think a bigger gun is more appropriate for the house.

Thinking about it now, she did shoot the 19 I had before I sold it. Was thinking a wheel gun just because it's simple, but so is the 19.

Rugerlab45

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea, if you can trust somebody with a gun at all, the Glocks are almost as simple as it gets. I got my daughter a 19, and a Smith 642. I figured that'll cover all her bases. They're sitting in the safe now till she gets old enough.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd go with something like a S&W 686 so you can shoot both +P 38s and 357 loads. The Glock 19/17 is a great option. It's easy to maintain, reliable, tough and easy to accessorize with a light/laser and night sights.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
M&P Shield. 9mm, or, .40.

M&P Full size, Compact. 9mm, .40, or .357 Sig.

M&P 45. Full size, Mid size, or Compact.

Glock, although grip may be too fat for some girls hands.

S&W J, K, or L frame .357/.38 Revolver.

Cheaper, maybe even better....Shotgun!

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ewwww, a revolver? Who would want a revolver? She don't want no steenkin' revolver...better u gimme dat ting I takes care of it for you before sumbody know u gots a revolver.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If she has practiced with a Glock I would get her a similar gun for the house because that is what she will be most comfortable with, or you could bring her into the equation and ask her what she wants.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A J frame Smith has been mentioned. It would be my suggestion also. Get one that has the longer grip...much easier to hold. The reason for the revolver, post #8, stupid simple to operate and the J frame will go off every time you pull the trigger with nearly no chance for a failure. And that's when it's clogged with dresser drawer sock fuz and all other manner of crud.

Latest posts

Top Bottom