Gun oil vs Motor Oil on your guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve run Mobile One 5w-30 synthetic on pistols and AR-15 bcg’s for years.
Almost every competition shooter I've known of used a synthetic motor oil on their firearms for lube. Their firearms get hammered with rapid fire the norm.
I’ve been using Valvoline synthetic on mine for almost 20 years in competition and casual shooting/hunting without any rust issues or heat related problems. Never gets gummy, never gets thick in cold weather, never rusts.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Almost every competition shooter I've known of used a synthetic motor oil on their firearms for lube. Their firearms get hammered with rapid fire the norm.
I’ve been using Valvoline synthetic on mine for almost 20 years in competition and casual shooting/hunting without any rust issues or heat related problems. Never gets gummy, never gets thick in cold weather, never rusts.
20 years is a long enough test run for me. Thank you sir!

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe we overanalyze things. I understand there are definitely scientific differences between different type of lubricants. But at the end of the day if ya keep your gun clean, lightly oiled, and used/handled regularly you will be fine. Regardless of what products you use. Hell even mineral oil or olive oil could suffice in a pinch lol

RockHopper

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While I would love to find a cheap alternative to gun oil, and have considered it many times over the years...it's just one of those things I can't bring myself to scrimp on. (as cheap as I am) CLP has been my go to for 30 years now, but I still cringe every time I have to buy a new bottle.

icarus_85

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never used automotive oil on any of my firearms because it never occurred to me that it would be safe to do so. I have used the Lucas product and it's ok. Hoppe's was a "go-to" for many years. Then I found and tried Ballistol Multi-Purpose endorsed by "Hickock45". I've been using it ever since then and it's an excellent product IMHO. It's like "Windex" as used by the dad in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". It does "everything"... Not really, but almost! I use nothing else on my firearms except for Ballistol and haven't regretted it.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to shoot with a guy and I think his 22 bulleseye pistol only got lubed with, wax, lead and powder residue! 😁

Latest posts

Top Bottom