Gun Show Situation, we need a ruling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superdave65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This weekend at the Norman Gun show we had a strange situation that threw up a red flag. One of my private sellers came up and asked my opinion about a sale. He had five long guns on his table, one of them was an AR15. A woman approached him and offered to buy all of his guns for $5000, then continued to say that she new some people that she could sell them to and make some money. With the intention getting the AR15 free and clear.

I told him that in my opinion it was still a "straw purchase" since she stated that she was not buying them for herself. We consulted with another FFL dealer, who is also a LEO and he agreed with me. We both told him that we believe that the ATF is probably putting out an extraordinary effort right now to nail people selling guns at gun shows right now and he should probably walk away from the deal. He did.

I do remember that when the woman came in the door and paid, my immediate reaction was that she was a cop. Cuz cops talk funny, you know what I mean. That was just my initial impression.

I believe that if the woman in question had just walked up and offered to buy the firearms there would have not been any problem. But, as soon as she volunteered the information about reselling them the situation became sketchy.

I did make an announcement over the public address system telling all the dealers to be extra careful about "straw purchases" and she left right after that.

Did I give out the incorrect advice?

By the way, we did find one guy coming in with the glasses containing a hidden camera.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This weekend at the Norman Gun show we had a strange situation that threw up a red flag. One of my private sellers came up and asked my opinion about a sale. He had five long guns on his table, one of them was an AR15. A woman approached him and offered to buy all of his guns for $5000, then continued to say that she new some people that she could sell them to and make some money. With the intention getting the AR15 free and clear.

I told him that in my opinion it was still a "straw purchase" since she stated that she was not buying them for herself. We consulted with another FFL dealer, who is also a LEO and he agreed with me. We both told him that we believe that the ATF is probably putting out an extraordinary effort right now to nail people selling guns at gun shows right now and he should probably walk away from the deal. He did.

I do remember that when the woman came in the door and paid, my immediate reaction was that she was a cop. Cuz cops talk funny, you know what I mean. That was just my initial impression.

I believe that if the woman in question had just walked up and offered to buy the firearms there would have not been any problem. But, as soon as she volunteered the information about reselling them the situation became sketchy.

I did make an announcement over the public address system telling all the dealers to be extra careful about "straw purchases" and she left right after that.

Did I give out the incorrect advice?

By the way, we did find one guy coming in with the glasses containing a hidden camera.

I think you did a good thing by asking the LEO. I dont see a problem with announcing it either. What did you do about the guy with the hidden camera?

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you did the right thing, And I want to hear more about the hidden camera? Who was it and why? And did you tell him he couldn't bring it in ?
I have seen the Feds do some pretty sneaky things at gunshows so everyone be careful and obey the laws, We don't need anymore bad publicity !

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Metcalf's minions? BATFE Buffoons? News ninnys?

Atta Boy! for keeping your collective eyes open. I got tied up at work and got off late. Needed a nap after 30 hrs up and didn't get to Norman yesterday until 4, missed the show. Look forward to your next one.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SD,

Based upon the events at Norman - will there be a prep session for your volunteer help for other shows like, oh let's say...ummm...the Lawton show in February?

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BTW - sounds like you made a prudent decision and gave good advice. Not just because of possible BATFE issues but also to help a dealer make the right decision regardless of police presence. Isn't that the mark of an honorable person - one who does the right thing when no one is watching?

Latest posts

Top Bottom