Gunman opens fire at school board meeting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Noble-schmoble, you can't plan to be a hero.

I read an interview of a long time Alaskan hunting guide recently. He was guiding a cop, who was also a military vet if memory serves. They were after brown bears.

The end up being charged by a sow in the Alders, and the guide empties his bolt gun at it. On his last shot the bear was wounded pretty bad (though very much alive) and went down within feet of where they were standing. His client hadn't fired a shot. He froze in fear, unable to move. The guide dropped his rifle and yanked his clients rifle away from him, finishing the downed bear.

Point being, you never know how your going to react to danger. However, I feel very confident in going out on a limb and saying I would not attack a gunman by hitting him on the shoulder with a piece of fabric, nor would I gather up some worthless papers and coats and turn my back to him. I don't think common sense would let me do that.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'd like to say I'd do great things, and I know you can't know how you'll react; but I can't stand the thought of sitting there and not doing anything.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If he'd wanted to kill someone he would have. He intentionally moves the pistol to the right, off target, before he takes his first shot and then shoots a shot into the floor, which may have been an involuntary reaction to the adrenaline pumping through him. The security guard didn't fire his weapon until after the shooter fired his. That was probably some kind of screwed up protocol. Also, the security guard didn't aim to kill. He shot the guy in the leg. Probably another stupid protocol. No one was taking the shooter seriously until he took his first shot. They could have easily overpowered him when his attention was on the woman with the purse.

The woman with the purse was unbelievably foolish to do what she did. It's that kind of stupidity that gets innocent people killed. If the shooter was serious about killing someone he would have killed her on the spot. Then, once he spilled blood, he probably would have started killing the others. She wasn't a hero. She was an idiot.

He wasn't there to kill. He was there to mouth off and to be killed. The security officer should have obliged him the instant the shooter pulled out his weapon.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, the security guard didn't aim to kill. He shot the guy in the leg. Probably another stupid protocol.

Maybe he was trying for one to the hip?

The womans actions were very foolish, however well intentioned. It would have been more sensible, although still very foolish, for her to grab and hold the pistol, allowing others to come to her aid.

It's all over and done regardless, and nothing can be changed now, no matter how many thousands of times it's analyzed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom