Gunsite scout optic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eastok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Picked up a gunsite scout this weekend and have an optic question. Anyone have any suggestions on a scout scope or optic? Need something pretty durable just not quite sure what. Have never looked into a scout scope of a pistol scope for that matter.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an FR-8 scout, and I put a Bushnell TRS-25 micro red dot on it. I think it works really well for that type of rifle and the type of shots you are most likely to take with it. One really nice thing about my setup is that the red dot co-witnesses with the iron sights. I don't think that would work on the Ruger though... it doesn't look like its optic mount sits low enough. If I had a Ruger, I would probably go with either a red dot, or a standard eye relief 1-(n)x scope. IMO, since the Ruger doesn't accept stripper clips, there is no real reason to go with a forward mounted optic other than to leave the rear iron sight in place. Here is my rifle with the red dot:

i281.photobucket.com_albums_kk201_henschman_guns_FR_8scout3_zpsce5dfd1c.jpg

i281.photobucket.com_albums_kk201_henschman_guns_FR_8scout2_zps845fbaf3.jpg

i281.photobucket.com_albums_kk201_henschman_guns_FR_8scoutco_witness_zps5877668e.jpg

i281.photobucket.com_albums_kk201_henschman_guns_FR_8scout1_zps0c5c5d57.jpg

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Henschman- I thought the forward or Scout scope mounting was to assist with the rapid aquisition of a target/ allow for better peripheral vision around the optic? Interesting to me, since I have an unfinished MN 1944 project that I put a scout scope on for hogs.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've got a Leupold FX-II on my gunsite. It's fixed power @ 4X and it works pretty well. The sights ride too low for a co-witness setup, but I went Leupold with quick release rings, so as to be able to remove the scope and use the irons if I want.

Eastok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I'm going to Forward mount a scout scope on my 10/22 to check it out and see what I think of it. I like the idea of a simple fixed power with quick release rings.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Picked up a gunsite scout this weekend and have an optic question. Anyone have any suggestions on a scout scope or optic? Need something pretty durable just not quite sure what. Have never looked into a scout scope of a pistol scope for that matter.

Are you wanting magnification or would something like a red dot work?

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Henschman- I thought the forward or Scout scope mounting was to assist with the rapid aquisition of a target/ allow for better peripheral vision around the optic? Interesting to me, since I have an unfinished MN 1944 project that I put a scout scope on for hogs.

Those are benefits too, but it still isn't any faster than a good modern standard eye relief 1-(n)x scope. Those benefits were more pronounced back when the scout concept was formed. But a scout scope works great on a mil surp rifle like your Nagant or my FR-8, for allowing for loading with strippers, and it helps keep he optic nice and low so you don't have to build up the cheek rest much if any.

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been wanting a forward mounted site recently. I think the advantage for me Is the fact that I am far-sighted. I think I could better view a reticle/sight/red dot if it was farther forward on the gun. This of course is merely a theory. I have not practiced this notion just yet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom