H&R Pardner Protector Riot Gun Project (With Pics)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP, got any suggestions on where I can locate some 870P wood stock set?

^ Numrich (Gun Parts Corp) or eBay. The refinished "like new" hardwood ones from Numrich have been pretty heavily sanded and have lost the sharp contours of the lower wrist area on the top of the stock. Some may also have gapping issues where the buttstock meets the receiver. The new "special purpose" walnut versions a quite a bit more expensive. A new stock and forend will cost upwards of $100 or more.

man that's a beaut. I picked up a moss 500 to do the exact same thing to. You mind detailing how you refinished the wood? Did you use sandpaper to take off the finish? Or a finish remover?

I used Strip X in the red can from Walmart to remove the old finish. After the stripper had sat for the allotted time I removed the finish with a brass bristled brush and rinsed the remaining stripper off with hot water and Dawn soap followed by Simple Green and more hot water to remove any remaining oil stains. I let the stock and forend dry indoors for 48 hours. The wood was a little beat up so I steamed out the dents and sanded everything evenly with 240 grit sandpaper (was careful to not remove wood from the areas with sharp contours and the areas where the stock met the receiver and buttplate so that there would not be any gaps or overhang).

Since the stock and forend are birch, I went with an alcohol based dye to stain the wood. I used Fiebing's, but RIT or Chestnut Ridge both work just as well. After allowing the dye to dry, I applied the first two coats of BLO (24 hours apart) with 0000 steel wool. The remaining three coats were applied by hand (rubbing the oil in with the palm of your hand until wood gets hot to the touch). After applying oil to the entire stock, allow the oil to soak into the wood and wipe off the excess after 15-20 minutes and buff with cheesecloth. After letting the BLO cure / dry for three days, I applied Johnson's paste wax. If you are looking for a harder finish with a higher sheen, use a wood paste wax that contains carnuba. If you are a looking for a softer, matte finish use a 1/3 mix wax (beeswax, BLO, turpentine) like Tom's 1/3 Mix. At the time the photos of the stock were taken, only 2 coats of wax were applied. When it is all said and done I will probably end up applying around 6 coats to the stock.

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finished the shotgun this week and took a few more pics of the finished product. I ended up only doing two additional wax coats on the stock and adding a sling. Below is a list of the parts that were used in case anyone else wants to attempt a similar project...

Remington 870 Police stock and forend
Limbsaver pre-fit recoil pad for 870 Wingmaster (Part # 10102...fits most non-express wood stocked 870's)
Blackhawk 1 1/4" QD sling swivels
Uncle Mike's rear QD sling swivel stud
M1 Garand web sling (repro from CMP - rear QD clip removed)
1/4" - 28mm x 8" replacement stock bolt (hex head, black oxide finish)

i181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_Trunk012E.jpg

i181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_Trunk032E.jpg

i181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_Trunk040E.jpg

i181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_Trunk036E.jpg

i181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_Trunk061E.jpg

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sweet!

Can you tell us more about your finishing on the stock and how you fit it? It doesn't just bolt straight on does it?

Since the Pardner is an 870 clone most parts will bolt straight up. The buttstock was a direct fit after I installed a buttstock bolt that was an inch longer. The forend needed relieved slightly where the magazine tube passes through it since the tube on the H&R is a slightly larger diameter. More details on the refinishing of the stock are in post #21.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks awesome. Makes me want to buy one.

Thanks Biggsly.

If I ever decide to sell mine, I'll give you a shout if you would like. Unfortunately I ran across the Mossberg 500 with the bayo lug and heatshield over at Big Boy's and can't stop wanting one. There's really no reason that I need two HD shotguns if I pick up the Mossy...

Latest posts

Top Bottom