Ham Radio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an itch to get into Ham radio.

I have reviewed the test and that won’t be an issue.

What’s the best setup for someone that’s just starting out but, will also work as I get more familiar with Ham radio operation?

I don’t want to buy a “beginners” radio then have to spend a fortune to upgrade.

Thoughts?

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a new ham too. My goal is to be able to receive and transmit during an emergency.
First I got shortwave set up; a small portable and a SDR receiver with software on my computer and loop antenna. That completes my receive goal.

For transmit I'm working on 2 meter first; got a hand held radio and I just ordered a decent antenna, I hope to be able to hit repeaters in the OKC area (can currently only get the one in Edmond). I may get a mobile 2 meter radio as a base station if the hand held won't reach out far enough.

Next I'll work on HF, right now I figure I'll get an ICOM 7300, antenna, and accessories, that will be the biggest expense.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my opinion https://hamexam.org/ is the best place to use to study for Ham Radio licenses. Free on desktop, minimal cost to download app on phone. Gives you flash cards and gives you details of why only one answer is correct for that particular question to help you learn about the hobby. This company also produces the exam you will be taking.

Last edited:

docohm

Maximus Shooterist
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go to the Enid Hamfest Sep 14th (https://enidarc.org/enidhamfest) and look for a good used HF radio from Kenwood, Icom or Yeasu. You should be able to find one for around $500. Then you'll need an antenna, an end fed halfwave or OCFD (off center fed dipole) would work fine as a first antenna. Get one for 40 meters (about 70 ft long) and above IF you have enough room for it and 80 meters (about 140 ft long) and above if you have lots of room.
An HT for VHF/UHF would be good too if you live close to a repeater. They are only good for about 10 miles or less.
I'd also advise finding a local ham club so you can find someone to 'Elmer' you (advise you). There is LOTS to learn so don't get in a hurry. MANY youtube 'how to' videos out there too.
If you're near Ponca City I'd be happy to help.
73, Dave KD5FX

Fr Mulcahy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go to the Enid Hamfest Sep 14th (https://enidarc.org/enidhamfest) and look for a good used HF radio from Kenwood, Icom or Yeasu. You should be able to find one for around $500. Then you'll need an antenna, an end fed halfwave or OCFD (off center fed dipole) would work fine as a first antenna. Get one for 40 meters (about 70 ft long) and above IF you have enough room for it and 80 meters (about 140 ft long) and above if you have lots of room.
An HT for VHF/UHF would be good too if you live close to a repeater. They are only good for about 10 miles or less.
I'd also advise finding a local ham club so you can find someone to 'Elmer' you (advise you). There is LOTS to learn so don't get in a hurry. MANY youtube 'how to' videos out there too.
73, Dave KD5FX
Dave has very good points. I would add a few, based upon personal experience.

1) Buy a 100 watt HF transceiver, not a QRP one (10 watts or less). You will want to go full power (within FCC limits) when you're starting out.

2) Do not buy a Baofeng/BTech HT. Most of them violate Part 97 spurious emissions limits. You can filter them out, but you can buy a decent Yaesu HT for about the same price as a Baofeng and filters.

3) I really like the G5RV and G5RV Jr. Dipole antennas. I have a G5RV Jr. In my attic, and I can reach Australia on a good day. You will need an antenna tuner to use most most antennas due to the varying SWR.

4) Learn to use WSPR and FT8 digital modes. They are easy to learn but are very powerful.

5) Once you pass the Technician test, start studying for the General. Once you pass the General, start studying for the Extra.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
73, Dave KD5FX
I’d simplify things a bit for those just starting out on HF with a General License. A good transceiver like you mentioned, an antenna tuner, and a G5RV (or G5RV jr) will get you on almost all HF bands. I started with a G5RV jr strung out in my attic with bends due to attic space (HOA restrictions) and can actually tune it for 80M. The jr is only intended to go up to 40M. I have communicated (voice and/or digital) with most countries in the world and every continent (including an Antarctica research station) on that antenna. I’ve since installed a multi-band vertical with 90 radials. I’ve got it on a tilt-up base so it is down when not in use (HOA restrictions, again). That vertical is better from an omnidirectional standpoint but the G5RV jr definitely has less noise for receiving.

Last edited:

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dave has very good points. I would add a few, based upon personal experience.

1) Buy a 100 watt HF transceiver, not a QRP one (10 watts or less). You will want to go full power (within FCC limits) when you're starting out.

2) Do not buy a Baofeng/BTech HT. Most of them violate Part 97 spurious emissions limits. You can filter them out, but you can buy a decent Yaesu HT for about the same price as a Baofeng and filters.

3) I really like the G5RV and G5RV Jr. Dipole antennas. I have a G5RV Jr. In my attic, and I can reach Australia on a good day. You will need an antenna tuner to use most most antennas due to the varying SWR.

4) Learn to use WSPR and FT8 digital modes. They are easy to learn but are very powerful.

5) Once you pass the Technician test, start studying for the General. Once you pass the General, start studying for the Extra.
LOL - you posted at the same time I was posting with similar information.

I do have a height advantage for my attic G5RV jr and J-pole antenna for 2M and 70 cm. I have a two-story house.

Veritas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With all due respect asking what the best radio setup is is a bit like asking what the best gun is for beginners.

I'll tell you to buy a Glock 17 and then you'll tell me it doesn't work well for you shooting hogs at 400 yards.

What are you trying to do? Do you want to be able to talk locally, regionally, anywhere in the world? When you study for and take the various level tests you'll learn what is possible and be able to provide better input to those in the know that would be happy to help once you can specify your needs.

One thing most us men are bad with is realizing the radio may be the sexy part like a gun but the antenna does just about all the work. A million-dollar radio with a terrible antenna is like a gun with no ammo so get smart on antennas. It's not even a matter of needing to spend a ton of money on them it's more about knowing what design will work best for what you want to do.

Latest posts

Top Bottom