Hamburgers come from where?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ground is different from a steak. Pathogens are on the surface of a steak while the same cut gets it into the center when ground.
There is that but also that steaks are single source one animal and retail ground beef will be multiple animals going into that package. More chances for pathogen contamination.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found out they can use meat condemned for use in other products, because hotdogs are a cooked product.
They do not use condemned meat.

What all hot dog manufacturers use … Conagra (Hebrew National), Oscar Mayer, Tyson (Ballpark) Bar-S … etc. use in their hot dogs are USDA inspected meat. They buy what they call “trim” of various lean/fat ratios and blend that into the making of a hot dog.

Bad Hombre

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I buy a cow periodically, but still use a meat thermometer and make sure my burgers are cooked to 165. Now I do like some pink in my steak, but that is a different risk level. To this day I still REALLY cook hotdogs, after doing some research, due to a young patient I had. She had eaten Hebrew National hotdogs (what you would think would be good) and got a severe complication from E.coli poisoning. I found out they can use meat condemned for use in other products, because hotdogs are a cooked product. Not for me thanks, nuke it till it glows and then shoot it in the dark.
I love hot dogs and eat them right out of the fridge quite often. They are delicious and make a great quick snack. Hot dogs have gotten a bad rap for years but I never had a problem with them.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love hot dogs and eat them right out of the fridge quite often. They are delicious and make a great quick snack. Hot dogs have gotten a bad rap for years but I never had a problem with them.
Yes … I do the same. Because they are fully cooked and never touched by even a gloved hand from the raw materials to being cooked to being packaged, there is a very low risk.

Best hot dog … right as the come off the line from being cooked at a plant. Back in 1981, I was at the (now closed) Oscar Mayer plant in LA. Got to eat one fresh out of what they called “the tunnel” where they are smoked/cooked. Unbelievably good.

GorillaG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every location is different, they have different cooks. The Wichita Falls Road House had a cook that must have hated good steaks. I ordered EXTREMELY RARE and received over med well, just short of well. Wif had ordered MED and got a charcoal briquet. Sent both back and ordered EXTREMELY RARE, came out med well. Had eaten about half and manager came by. I held up the meat and asked how he would classify it? He says it looks very med well. I asked waitress what was ordered, TWICE? She told him, extremely rare. Manager apologized and headed to kitchen.

The Lawton location has always been spot on. We order med RARE and it is somewhere between almost MED and not quite RARE.
My sister is the most finicky diner on earth. Her tastebuds are superhuman. I've seen her identify a cut of meat and a brand of butter by taste alone. Myself I'm more interested in volume. She sends back at least half of what she orders after the second send back it's usually comped. Not me brother, I told her the "fixed" food probably has loogies in it now from the teenager cooking it.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If something goes wrong with the cooking process what then? My patient damn near didn't survive and had life altering injuries even so. I will continue to eat them, but only after thorough cooking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom