Handcuffs at Home?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with the 'no handcuffs...I'm not going near him!" crowd.

Plus, if you handcuff him, you're starting to get into the Citizen's Arrest area of things which opens up a new can of worms. It's legal, but then you're legally required to search the guy and remove all dangerous items, etc 'before' turning him over to the police (which should be asap).

Personally, I'm not going near the SOB. Hold him from a distance and let the pros handle him.

Of course, if it's a home intruder...he's probably not going to be moving.

BadKarma

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Arrest comes when the person is no longer free to leave, you have deprived him of his freedom. It's also been argued from the Miranda standpoint, when to advise or not advise, that arrest can also come when the person believes they are not free to leave. If you are holding him at gun point or have shot him you have most assuredly deprived him of his freedom and he is under arrest. Maintain a safe distance and do not approach him or physically touch him in anyway, shape, form or fashion. Handcuffing him does not increase civil liability but is a golden opportunity to get your ass whipped and maybe killed. 90% of the physical altercations I've been in as a police officer took place at the point the handcuffs were applied and as someone said is best done with a backing officer. Hopefully if things went well he won't be aware that he needs to try and leave.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you try to approach a BG and cuff him, you're as goofy as a peach orchard boar! :screwy:

There's more to it than what you see on TV. :rolleyes2

I would say 99.9% of all the fights I've had were during the cuffing process.

Leave the cuffing to the cops. We know how to do it...you don't.

I dropped and restrained a robber at a grocery store once who struck the clerk in the face with a can of vegetables when she opened her cash drawer.

I did not have cuffs on me at the time neither did my buddy who was in line with me, the geriatric security guy tried to hand me his cuffs, it was'nt happening just getting a proper arm bar behind the back and getting him immobilized was a chore.

Restraining a real life bad guy is way different than even some of the most realistic unarmed combat training I have had. This guy had no concerns about injuring me and really didn't care if he got hurt in the process either, his cheek and nose were both broken in the inital take down and he fought just as bad and hard as a wild animal.

OologahBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would not suggest using handcuffs as Bettingpython said it opens you up to unlawful imprisonment charges for yourself I did security at a night club for years and most of the staff was not cleet certified and we all wore cuffs and detained people for the police one thing they always told us though was if we put the cuffs on let the cops be the ones to take them off and the cops were always the ones who took my cuffs off and never really said anything but i am sure we could have gotten into trouble if the issue was pushed

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What if they got got the cuffs from you or you only got them on one arm? Now the bad guy essentially has a nice steel object to swing at you

Latest posts

Top Bottom