Handguards/Rail Systems ? Free Float? and why so much $$

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chr_edw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure if this was better here or in the long gun section. Feel free to move if needed.

Is a free float hand guard really going to add to accuracy? Also how can they charge so freakin much :yikes2: I was scoffing at buying a $300 barrel for an AR build, but that much and way more for this just seems crazy.

Anyone know a good go to company for these.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Free float handguard will add to accuracy at distance and it helps if you run it hard by knocking it around like at a 3 gun match or a tactical rifle class or something.

You tend to get what you pay for. If you want a cheapo $30 free float handguard then don't expect high strength or a solid platform. Same goes with a barrel, buy cheap and get cheap results.
Me personally, I don't see a need for a civilian to have a rail on an AR anyways. There are much better handguards out there without rails for $100-$200

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Troy TRX system is worth the $$$. I think some of the others such as Daniel Defense are overpriced. The cheap sub-$100 ones will work, but they're nowhere near as lightweight or sturdy.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most rails are built by one company with slight differences to each parts dealers specs.
Just look at a low profile gas block they run from 14.99-36.99 on the internet. They are all made by the same factory.
and bcm/yhm/dpms/or whom ever just jacks the price to whatever they think their customers will pay.

You might look at the new UTG PRO model "made in USA" free float handguard.
They are right at $100 I saw one friday and it looked good. I'm ordering one this week.
The guy that had it on his gun said he had not had any problems with it.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most rails are built by one company with slight differences to each parts dealers specs.
Just look at a low profile gas block they run from 14.99-36.99 on the internet. They are all made by the same factory.
and bcm/yhm/dpms/or whom ever just jacks the price to whatever they think their customers will pay.

They are right at $100 I saw one friday and it looked good. I'm ordering one this week.

This is incorrect. Each manufacturer you mentioned has their own mounting system. The Troy offerings require a Troy wrench to install correctly. The YHM's can be installed with a common spanner. The UTG will easily weigh twice as much or more than a Troy or Daniel Defense and not be as durable. The UTG is also considerably bulkier than a Troy or DD.

If they were all equal, guys who stake their lives on their gear wouldn't pay 2-3 times as much for the better ones.

Same for Lo Pro gas blocks. An Vltor or PRI will be far superior to a cheap clamp on block, less bulky and weigh less.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You are wrong. You are so very wrong.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I don't even know where to start.

But this about covers it:

You are wrong. You are so very wrong.

Latest posts

Top Bottom