Handguards/Rail Systems ? Free Float? and why so much $$

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never tried the Troy rails, but I love my DD lite. Has a smaller overall diameter than most I've had in the past so I can get my hands around it.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying either a free float or just a good quad rail. I may buy a Midwest industries. I am concerned with how much it will cost to have a gunsmith install it for me. I have the a2 front sight with a carbine length gas system. I like the key mod ones because I don't necessarily want rails on the side where I like to grip the handguard. And who would you guys recommend I take it to? Thanks.

Swab

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was going to start my own thread, but since we're talking hand guards... for a range gun would it be so bad to buy rail sections that attach to the plastic hand guard found on the JSE upper that FBT sells? I like the look of quad rails but will never use them.

Sent from the land of teepee's and buffaloes

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was going to start my own thread, but since we're talking hand guards... for a range gun would it be so bad to buy rail sections that attach to the plastic hand guard found on the JSE upper that FBT sells? I like the look of quad rails but will never use them.

Sent from the land of teepee's and buffaloes
I thought about doing this as well but I really want to get a ffr. I like to be able to mount rails wherever I want. So I am going to go with the keymod ffr. Thought getting the Midwest industries one. It's a pretty good price. I just need to know how much it will cost to have it installed. Mine mostly a range gun as well but it will also serve as a home defense or shtf rifle. I want it to be as good as I can get it.

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought about doing this as well but I really want to get a ffr. I like to be able to mount rails wherever I want. So I am going to go with the keymod ffr. Thought getting the Midwest industries one. It's a pretty good price. I just need to know how much it will cost to have it installed. Mine mostly a range gun as well but it will also serve as a home defense or shtf rifle. I want it to be as good as I can get it.

Install the HG yourself, save yourself the time and money of going to a gunsmith.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
UTG Pro super slim is all I run. Make sure you get the real deal though as they do have knock offs now.

High end stuff is very well made and you get what you pay for (weight and durability), I am just not hard enough on my rifles to need it.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would love to do it myself but I don't have the tools to do it so I have to take it to a gunsmith. I have decided against the MI rail and am now going to get the Samson evolution rail. It is $159 and looks pretty darn easy to install once my front sight post and delta ring is removed. But like I said, I don't have the tools to do it. Plus I am an idiot with stuff like that. I would probably break something. http://www.samson-mfg.com/mm5/merch...uct_Code=Evolution-11&Category_Code=EVOLUTION It says the front sight base doesn't need to be removed but it isn't talking about the standard front sight. I would have to also get a low pro gas block.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had recently purchased this for my M&P 15 sport, and honestly, while it is built like a tank, it is ridiculously heavy and uglier than hell. It does the job though. It isn't free floated, but it was a VERY reasonable price, and it fits my needs. I didn't feel like replacing the gas block/front sight. It definitely goes to show that you get what you pay for.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-utg-pro-model-4-15-carbine-length-quad-rail-system-w-front-extension-mtu015.html

Last edited:

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying either a free float or just a good quad rail. I may buy a Midwest industries. I am concerned with how much it will cost to have a gunsmith install it for me. I have the a2 front sight with a carbine length gas system. I like the key mod ones because I don't necessarily want rails on the side where I like to grip the handguard. And who would you guys recommend I take it to? Thanks.

Fat Boy Tactical, Bixby, OK..... Jeff is kind of a jerk but Keelty is pretty cool! LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom