HARLEY Riding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, started a thread about Harley not long ago. I finally broke down and bought one from another OSA member. I've been having trouble making maneuvers and long winding curves. Is there a secret to this or something specific to Harley I don't know about?

I'm enjoying the bike, but unsure of my abilities.I know some of this this takes time and experience. I'm also looking into taking a motorcycle rider safety courses to learn more.

Tips, tricks, words of wisdom?

Last edited:

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is my first bike after about 25-30 years. So, I know i've got a LOT to re-learn. The biggest I've ever had before was a 750 Yamaha.

Merlin72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure of your riding experience but an MSF would be a great idea. Other than that only advice is take your time and trust your tires.

+1 on this , except try and get used to the bike a little bit before you take the course. Tight weaving in and out of cones at slower speeds might not be the first thing you want to try when your not comfortable with the bike yet. I have rode a lot of motorcycles over the years. (mainly sport bikes and enduros) About a year ago I got a wild hair and decided I needed a Harley. I purchased a 96 Heritage Soft Tail Nostalgia. For the first month I thought I was going to dump it everytime I turned. You really do just have to learn to trust your tires. I know exactly how your feeling right now though.

Crusader8207

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am an MSF instructor in the Tulsa area and I highly recommend that you get to a class soon. It will do you a lot of good. I would also suggest finding the "Ride Like a Pro" DVD if possible as it gives you some great insight on what you should be doing as well as some skills to work on. In the meantime, here are a few pointers.

Keep your head and eyes up. You will go where you are looking, if you look down, then down you will go. It is natural for our eyes to follow our nose.

When making turns look all the way through your turn or curve. Do no "five pence" it where you look a little ahead, then a little more then a little more. By looking through the turn it will make it nice and smooth.

The throttle is your friend, don't be afraid of it but don't abuse it as it will bite you when least expected. Get used to modulating the throttle.

Learn clutch control. Think of it as a scale from 1 to 5 with 1 squeezed in and 5 all the way out. On slow speed stuff you want to stay in the 2-3-4 area. Ease it out to go squeeze it to slow. Ease and squeeze, remember that.

70 per cent of your braking power comes from your front brake. Do not be afraid to use it, it has much more stopping power than the rear brake. That being said the combination of both front and rear brakes is 100 per cent braking power.

That is just a synopsis of what we teach in MSF. If I could only give you one piece of advice today that would be find a course please. It will make riding much more enjoyable for you plus you get a 10 per cent discount on your insurance. If there is anything else I can answer please ask or PM me.

Mike

Latest posts

Top Bottom