Harvard Student Faces Eviction(MAGA Hat)--Room Ransacked for (Legal) Guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good for us! As for Harvard, it looks like a roommate squabble. The Landlord is requiring the other tenants to facilitate the move at their expense not her's. I don't even see the suggestion that it be done immediately. Bunch of girls don't like living with this girl. Girl thing, Roommate thing. Maybe that's why it isn't getting much play in the news? Girls having a squabble. World altering event? Now I'm just being sexist. I hope nobody catches me.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My thoughts on this as split between legal and ethical. Ethically, her roommates are horrible people and I wish them a thousand irritations in life.

Legally it’s all going to boil down to the type and scope of the lease(s). Based on the way the landlord is approaching the issue, it doesn’t seem that firearms possession is a violation of the lease (I could be wrong thought). Is it a joint lease or individual? Again, appearances are it’s joint. Does the lease grant each lessee exclusive rights to the bedroom portions, or do all lessees enjoy full access to the entire dwelling?

Now I wouldn’t have agreed to the police inspection myself. But since it happened, I’d be asking the police if I had the right to have the roommates instructed on criminal trespass in my room. Then I’d install a lock on my bedroom door. If the lease agreement authorized them to have access to my bedroom, the next time they were all out, I’d literally pilfer through everything in their rooms, make a list and when they returned, list all the things they had in their rooms that I didn’t like and that made me uncomfortable. What’s good for her is good for the rest of them, right?

I certainly wouldn’t move out without a full written release from the lease, deposit return and a small stipend for moving expenses. If any of them broke the lease and moved out, I’d take them to small claims court and seek a judgement against them. If the landlord pressured me to break the lease, I’d send him a cease and desist letter and fight eviction tooth and nail.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My thoughts on this as split between legal and ethical. Ethically, her roommates are horrible people and I wish them a thousand irritations in life.

Legally it’s all going to boil down to the type and scope of the lease(s). Based on the way the landlord is approaching the issue, it doesn’t seem that firearms possession is a violation of the lease (I could be wrong thought). Is it a joint lease or individual? Again, appearances are it’s joint. Does the lease grant each lessee exclusive rights to the bedroom portions, or do all lessees enjoy full access to the entire dwelling?

Now I wouldn’t have agreed to the police inspection myself. But since it happened, I’d be asking the police if I had the right to have the roommates instructed on criminal trespass in my room. Then I’d install a lock on my bedroom door. If the lease agreement authorized them to have access to my bedroom, the next time they were all out, I’d literally pilfer through everything in their rooms, make a list and when they returned, list all the things they had in their rooms that I didn’t like and that made me uncomfortable. What’s good for her is good for the rest of them, right?

I certainly wouldn’t move out without a full written release from the lease, deposit return and a small stipend for moving expenses. If any of them broke the lease and moved out, I’d take them to small claims court and seek a judgement against them. If the landlord pressured me to break the lease, I’d send him a cease and desist letter and fight eviction tooth and nail.

I like your thinking.
I can't imagine living in a community area without the ability to lock my door in my private space where it is not allowed.
Entry into that private space without firearms is 2nd degree burglary?

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I also believe the wording of the lease will be very important in the final resolution of this matter. It will have to specifically spell out what can or cannot be done by the landlord and the roommates in their living quarters.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also believe the wording of the lease will be very important in the final resolution of this matter. It will have to specifically spell out what can or cannot be done by the landlord and the roommates in their living quarters.

Exactly! When the facts are known the facts will be known. Till then, we're just spitballing the daily outrage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom