Has any otherwise lawful Oklahoman ever been convicted of open carry since the SDA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flybeech

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Since I cannot find anything that prohibits open carry in Oklahoma, yet everyone tells me it's illegal, I have to ask if any otherwise lawful Oklahoman ever been convicted of openly carrying a firearm since the passage of the SDA in 1995? If there have been no convictions of anyone in the last 17 years of open carry, is it because everyone has observed the hidden law of forbidden open carry, or because there IS NO LAW forbidding the lawful Oklahoman from openly carrying a firearm to convict someone with?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really don't understand why you're asking this question on an internet forum. YOU need to research the court records for all 77 counties and report back to us on what you discover. While you're at it, see if you can discover whether anyone was ever arrested for open carry and the charges were either dismissed or plead down to a lesser charge. Good luck! :thumb:

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
If it's so important to you, do the research yourself, or hire an attorney to do it for you. What you hear on an internet forum means nothing in court.

flybeech

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
FYI, here is the law that forbids the carry of weapons: http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=69740

Now that'll be $500. You can PM me for where to send the check. ;) JK

I appreciate you directing me to §21-1272, which states:

§21-1272 UNLAWFUL CARRY A. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry upon or about his or her person, or in a purse or other container belonging to the person, any pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle whether loaded or unloaded or any dagger.... or any other offensive weapon, whether such weapon be concealed or unconcealed, except this section shall not prohibit:

2. The carrying or use of weapons in a manner otherwise permitted by statute or authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act;

Exception no. 2 refers me back to the SDA:

§21-1289.6. CONDITIONS UNDER WHICH FIREARMS MAY BE CARRIED A. A person shall be permitted to carry loaded and unloaded shotguns, rifles and pistols, open and not concealed and without a handgun license as authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 25 of this act, pursuant to the following conditions:

6. For any legitimate purpose not in violation of the Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971, Sections 1289.1 through 1289.17 of this title or any legislative enactment regarding the use, ownership and control of firearms.

Forgive me for being difficult, but the language in referenced includes the exception number 2 which sends me right back to the §21-1289.6 condition 6 found in the SDA manual, which says for "ANY legitimate purpose". It seems that "any legitimate purpose" could reasonably thought of as self defense. If it's not, I guess §21-1289.6 is incomplete and a list of "any legitimate purposes" are listed elsewhere. According to the law, what is "any legitimate purpose", or how am I so seriously misreading §21-1272 and §21-1289.6 so that I have such a distorted understanding of exception number 2 in §21-1272 and condition number 6 in §21-1289.6?

I apologize for bothering y'all by coming to a 2A forum to ask questions that seem to be 2A related and for questioning what appears to be fully settled law regarding OC in Oklahoma. I freely admit I'm not the smartest guy in the room and that's why I come to internet forums for answers. If I offended anyone, or caused anyone to burn their time with my thread again, I'm sorry about that. I just wish I could as easily accept that open carry is illegal as everyone else does, based on the clarity of these two sections found in my SDA manual.

The purpose of this thread was merely to see if anyone knew if there have been any convictions of otherwise lawful Oklahomans who attempted to openly carry since passage of the SDA in 1995 and what law they were convicted of. I'll back off, avoid questioning authority and try my best to rejoin the herd.

Last edited:

flybeech

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If it's so important to you, do the research yourself, or hire an attorney to do it for you. What you hear on an internet forum means nothing in court.

It is important to me and I have been researching it myself. The deeper I go, the more difficulty I have with the commonly believed perception that open carry in Oklahoma is a crime, particularly with my perception of §21-1272 and §21-1289.6 and how it relates to Pierce v State of 1929. I can't afford to hire an attorney for this question, which is why I just thought a Second Amendment forum would be an appropriate place to ask if anyone knew if anyone has ever been convicted of attempting open carry in Oklahoma since passage of the SDA in 1995. I'll step back now and avoid invading your forum with my silly questions. I'm sorry for troubling everyone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom