Hb 1439

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Extending "Make My Day" law to place of business.

So comments, will this mean employers can't tell employees they can't carry on company property?

The clause:
"...the citizens of the State of Oklahoma have a right to expect absolute safety within their own homes or places of business."

This would say that either I can expect security to be provided, or provide it myself... if I'm reading this right.

Link to Text of Bill

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way I read it, it is the business owners right, not necessarily their employees as the employees do not own the land or business. But if the boss says "Okay you can carry" then if you have to use deadly force that you are then covered by the law.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The way I read it, it is the business owners right, not necessarily their employees as the employees do not own the land or business. But if the boss says "Okay you can carry" then if you have to use deadly force that you are then covered by the law.

Not quite...

"B. A person or an owner, manager or employee of a business is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if:"

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Basically, it makes a clarification that the lack of duty to retreat applies no matter where you are as long as you have the legal right to be there. There was some confusion on whether that applied to places of business, which technically you could argue that the current law does. This bill just makes it clear.

Latest posts

Top Bottom