HD Shotgun Thoughts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I bought a used Maverick 88, actually two in a package deal, thinking I would cut down the barrel on one and use it for a HD gun.

Then I ended up with an older Wingmaster 870 on another package deal. It has a vent rib, fixed full choke barrel, so I was thinking I would rather cut it down and maybe add a mag extension and make this my HD shotty. I hestate to modify it but its not in perfect condition, and I figure the barrel can be replaced if I ever want to convert it back.

Another option, of course, is to buy a shotgun already set up the way I want it, sell the 88s, and keep the Wingmaster around in case I ever get to hunt again.

What do you guys think?

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Sell them and get an AR for HD. Accurate, more capacity, faster reloads, less recoil.

I have an AR. I doubt I would ever need 30 plus rounds to clear my 900 sq. ft. home, and the main reason for using a shotgun is to try and keep from shooting through the wallls into the neighbors homes.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an AR. I doubt I would ever need 30 plus rounds to clear my 900 sq. ft. home, and the main reason for using a shotgun is to try and keep from shooting through the wallls into the neighbors homes.

A shotgun with the proper defense load will penetrate more than a defense round from an AR. There has been plenty of research done to support this. Unless you plan on using birdshot, the AR would be a better choice IMO. I would rather have ammo left over in my mag vs wishing I had more with a shotty.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
A shotgun with the proper defense load will penetrate more than a defense round from an AR. There has been plenty of research done to support this. Unless you plan on using birdshot, the AR would be a better choice IMO. I would rather have ammo left over in my mag vs wishing I had more with a shotty.

I do plan on using birdshot. I know it is not the "proper defense load" but in my situation I believe it is the best option to reduce the potential of shooting into my neighbors homes.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never use a pump gun for HD. The myth of "racking the slide" to scare off an invader is urban legend.

You give up your defensive position for the first part, and if you loose the use of an arm to a shot, your screwed to rack another round.

Get a Self loader if your wanting to use a shotgun.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Never use a pump gun for HD. The myth of "racking the slide" to scare off an invader is urban legend.

You give up your defensive position for the first part, and if you loose the use of an arm to a shot, your screwed to rack another round.

Get a Self loader if your wanting to use a shotgun.

LOL! Some of you guys crack me up.

If I said I was going to use an 1100 there would be someone here telling me to never use an autoloader for self defense.

I don't plan on racking the slide to scare off anyone. The only sound an intruder will hear is a loud boom or three.

If I lose the use of an arm, I will resort to using a pistol.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL! Some of you guys crack me up.

If I said I was going to use an 1100 there would be someone here telling me to never use an autoloader for self defense.

I don't plan on racking the slide to scare off anyone. The only sound an intruder will hear is a loud boom or three.

If I lose the use of an arm, I will resort to using a pistol.

There has been so much misinformation all over the internet about the perfect HD weapon being a pump gun and racking the slide that it needs to be repeated at every opportunity as urban legend.

I did my duty! :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom