HD Shotgun Thoughts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterGrubbs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
remmy.jpg

My HD gun.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I can't tell you how many times I've hunted and shot skeet/sporting clays with folks who don't shoot a lot, and use a pump...........get in a hurry and will short stroke that pump and get a "no fire" situation and are unable to fire a second or third shot. I'd not want that situation for a HD shotgun. Semi auto all the way for a HD shotgun......I'd suggest a O/U or a side by side before a pump. Pumps have been and probably always recommended over any other shotguns......because they're cheaper.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a used Maverick 88, actually two in a package deal, thinking I would cut down the barrel on one and use it for a HD gun.

Then I ended up with an older Wingmaster 870 on another package deal. It has a vent rib, fixed full choke barrel, so I was thinking I would rather cut it down and maybe add a mag extension and make this my HD shotty. I hestate to modify it but its not in perfect condition, and I figure the barrel can be replaced if I ever want to convert it back.

Another option, of course, is to buy a shotgun already set up the way I want it, sell the 88s, and keep the Wingmaster around in case I ever get to hunt again.

What do you guys think?

Sounds like your shotgun poor...

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I can't tell you how many times I've hunted and shot skeet/sporting clays with folks who don't shoot a lot, and use a pump...........get in a hurry and will short stroke that pump and get a "no fire" situation and are unable to fire a second or third shot. I'd not want that situation for a HD shotgun. Semi auto all the way for a HD shotgun......I'd suggest a O/U or a side by side before a pump. Pumps have been and probably always recommended over any other shotguns......because they're cheaper.

Yup same here. "I racked the slide and had a misfire!" Nothing in the chamber.

I've never been one to "short stroke". I always give it all I got!

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never been one to "short stroke". I always give it all I got!

Does no good if you don't go deep enough:bigeye:

Seriously though, please reconsider using birdshot. They call it birdshot for a reason, it does not penetrate enough for reliable incapacitation. In bare gelatin blocks under perfect conditions you're lucky to get penetration in the 5 inch range. This does not equate to 5 inches in the body. That means in the body, you're lucky if you penetrate bone structure. You're much better off just training until you're comfortable enough to use suitable self-defense loads.

Also, you said a bad guy wouldn't hear the racking. I might have misunderstood you, but please don't store a pump or semi with one in the chamber. Most shotguns do NOT have a firing pin safety. A good bump (possibly the gun falling over) and if can go off.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does no good if you don't go deep enough:bigeye:

Seriously though, please reconsider using birdshot. They call it birdshot for a reason, it does not penetrate enough for reliable incapacitation. In bare gelatin blocks under perfect conditions you're lucky to get penetration in the 5 inch range. This does not equate to 5 inches in the body. That means in the body, you're lucky if you penetrate bone structure. You're much better off just training until you're comfortable enough to use suitable self-defense loads.

Also, you said a bad guy wouldn't hear the racking. I might have misunderstood you, but please don't store a pump or semi with one in the chamber. Most shotguns do NOT have a firing pin safety. A good bump (possibly the gun falling over) and if can go off.

I just went to the safe and bumped the hell out of my 1100 on the carpet as well as a 1928 Model 12 Win. None fired. Not sure of this info.

I did a pretty extensive test of bird shot on different targets several years ago in a field test of a Judge vs a full size .410 shotgun. If somebody has common $4 safety glasses on, the shot did not penetrate at 5 yds. (length of my hallway) The video's of birdshot blowing the center of a paper target away are sales hype.

Every gun I own has one in the pipe. Same scenario when my kids were young. By 6 they knew what a gun was, and saw the carnage a gun could cause. I took the mystery of what that piece of iron was in the cabinet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom