HDD clone/image software recommendation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have a ton of faith in Windows image backup and even if I did it is kinda slow. My go to software is Perfect image pro but it is getting older now so I thought I'd look for something new that I can trust.

New software wish list.. Something I could boot into from disk or USB drive and clone a drive to an image directly so I don't have to boot into windows. Can clone a win 10 box and linux distro without issue. Im completely open to pay for this software as long as it is good

Any recommendation is welcome as it seems that there are a ton of options to wade thru

Best

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most HD manufactures offer a free backup/clone app downloadable from the web site. Just need to know what brand HD is in the computer. Usually a version of Acronis True Image which is a good one, the free version will only work if the drive is made by the same outfit where you downloaded the software. The pay version isn't that expensive and will work with any HD.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thx. I bought a acronis license in 2018 and remember hating it. Tons of fluff and resource hungry if you install it on the machine. Still. It’s been around for a while so I’d assume it will still be around for years to come. That might be worth a try to try it again. Thx

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thx. I bought a acronis license in 2018 and remember hating it. Tons of fluff and resource hungry if you install it on the machine. Still. It’s been around for a while so I’d assume it will still be around for years to come. That might be worth a try to try it again. Thx

May be the way you had the settings. I have both the Western Digital and Seagate versions on one computer and neither does anything unless I want it to.

ICanFixIt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used Macrium Reflect and it did exactly what it was supposed to do. I'm planning a new i9 laptop and probably will use Reflect to move into the new machine.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
May be the way you had the settings. I have both the Western Digital and Seagate versions on one computer and neither does anything unless I want it to.

I'm thinking that maybe since I bought the software instead of using the free version I ended up with all the bloatware that they include with it. Things like "active ransomware protection" I reinstalled my 2018 paid version on a machine and used the software to make a bootable usb that includes SAS drivers for a dell R230 rack server and all seems to be doing what I need. Thanks all to replied

acope

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have a ton of faith in Windows image backup and even if I did it is kinda slow. My go to software is Perfect image pro but it is getting older now so I thought I'd look for something new that I can trust.

New software wish list.. Something I could boot into from disk or USB drive and clone a drive to an image directly so I don't have to boot into windows. Can clone a win 10 box and linux distro without issue. Im completely open to pay for this software as long as it is good

Any recommendation is welcome as it seems that there are a ton of options to wade thru

Best

Take a look at Clonezilla Live. These two videos walk you through step by step.
Clonezilla: How to Create a CloneZilla USB Drive
Clonezilla Tutorial: How to back up or clone your PC's HDD or SSD

I just used this on Saturday to image a couple of PCs for my mom before erasing them.

allen

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do remember using Clonezilla for a piece of industrial quipment quite a few years ago when nothing else would work properly and really liking it. Thanks.

Ill try it too and see where I get.

So far the Avast live USB might be my one and only option since it will allow me to preload a dell SAS driver prior to running

Thanks

Latest posts

Top Bottom